Saturday, 14 September 2013

Badass Chicken and Leek Pie

Something's got to be good to get me to use the term "badass". And that is exactly what this pie is. Absolutely flipping brilliant. Even if I do say so myself, and even if it doesn't look wildly pretty. Trust me, it tastes good enough to make up for its appearance (and the terrible quality of my images).



And let's be honest- it's proper pie weather now, isn't it!? The sunshine has gone, the drizzle has commenced, it's dark when I wake up in the mornings... but I'm not complaining. Hell, I wished enough for Autumn (we all did, come on), I have to enjoy it now it's here. Though when my office is so cold that I spent half of yesterday afternoon wearing my coat at my desk, I do tend to feel a little bitter. 

But then, when you have food like this to warm you up, it really doesn't matter. You can put your warmest socks on, play some autumnal music (anything folky works for me), pop this in the oven, and remember why you love this season.

Serves 3-4, depending on how hungry you are

You will need:
One large leek
A handful of mushrooms (optional, but they do make it better)
Three rashers of smoked bacon
Two chicken breasts
Oil and a knob of butter
Salt and pepper
250ml chicken stock (I used 1 stock cube and 250ml water)
Half a tub of low-fat creme fraiche
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
Zest of half a lemon
Rough puff pastry- I used this recipe, but really it's actually more like a flaky pastry. I'll keep hunting and do a post when I find a good recipe!! 
A small amount of milk/ an egg, to glaze

Preheat your oven to 180C.

Slice up your leek, mushrooms, bacon, and chicken. Heat your oil and butter in a large pan, and add your chicken, bacon, and leeks, and season well with pepper, and a small amount of salt. When they're looking on their way to being cooked, add your mushrooms and cook until your chicken is more or less done. As you're going to simmer it and then bake it in the oven, if it's slightly under done at this stage, it will cook!







Add your stock, creme fraiche, mustard, and lemon zest, and reduce the heat to let it simmer until the sauce thickens to your liking. (I found that I actually needed to give it a hand, so made a paste with a heaped teaspoon of cornflour mixed with some water, then added this to the sauce whilst simmering. This will help anything thicken- I've used it in everything from chocolate ganache to pasta sauces!).



Pour the sauce into a pie dish of some description- I used a ceramic-y/ Pyrex-y sort of dish. You know the sort.  Leave it to cool slightly (otherwise you'll melt the butter in your pastry, and we've all seen enough GBBO to know that isn't a good thing).



Roll out your pastry so it's big enough to cover the top of your dish, then roll it over your rolling pin/ wine bottle to lift over the top of your pie filling. Cut two slits in the top to let the steam out, and trim your pastry to the edge of your dish. If you fancy, make some little leaves/ letters etc to decorate the top. Brush all over with a beaten egg or a little milk, then bake for 30-40 minutes.





Eat, and gain a warm fuzzy feeling.

4 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I've been really wanting to make pies as the weather has gone poo recently. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh i love pie so much, and with the weather going so crap it's so nice to come home and just eat something comforting like this. i fear tho, that if i was to have this it wouldn't serve 3-4 it would just serve 1... x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you mean..."make up for its appearance"? It looks fabulous to me! You can't go far wrong with a chicken pie in this weather--the rain is pouring down outside and pie is absolutely the order of the day xx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog