Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Nick Drake

One of my favourite memories of being a young teenager revolves around Nick Drake.



I'd like to say I'd heard him somewhere cool- but really, I'd read the lyric "I just need your star for a day", in The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants and loved it, so I looked it up.

Then, a few weeks later, I was in the car with my dad and he'd put on Bryter Layter, and I started singing along. Dad was so shocked, he pulled over, turned to fourteen/fifteen-year-old Alice, and went "How do you know the lyrics to this song? How do you know who Nick Drake is?" 

If you don't know who Nick Drake is, he's a musician who died in 1974 aged 26 before he really gained any critical acclaim. Turns out my dad used to listen to him when he was a teenager, and an awful lot of famous musicians cite him as an influence. You might actually have heard some of his music before- Northern Sky was featured in Serendipity, and Pink Moon was used in some sort of advert- for a car, I think.

I love Nick Drake. I always come back to him at this time of year- there's something about him which just screams late-summer-and-autumn to me. Last night, after I'd finished work, I lay in the garden in the last patch of sun, re-reading The Hunger Games and listening to Bryter Layter. It was perfect.

So here is Fly, which is where that original lyric comes from, and is one of my favourite songs ever. Be nice about it.



I've fallen so far for the people you are- I just need your star for a day. 

We've all felt like that, right?

3 comments:

  1. Ahh this is a lovely post. I love 'things behind the sun' - his voice is just like honey. I'm going to listen to it right now in fact :)

    Fillmylittleworld.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful song. Thank you for sharing!

    Cheers!
    Akshara
    Simply Akshara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Nick Drake. I once read a biography about him and was completely fascinated. Did you know he was so cripplingly shy he used to play his first gigs in complete darkness....

    His songs break my heart. Just so beautiful. Each and every one.

    Kate
    Just Pirouette and Carry On...

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog