Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Conversations With Engineers





My dad and my brother are both engineers, which makes life pretty interesting sometimes. 

For example, when we went to Paris, the two of them spent ages under the Eiffel Tower ooh-ing and ahh-ing over the rivets that had been used to stop the thing from falling down.

The rest of us just wanted to climb up it.

They are also both wildly clever, and get way too into maths. I learnt pretty early on never to ask my dad for help with my maths homework- he'd go into so much detail, and I would end up more confused than before I asked.

But the thing that gets me the most is the fact that when I asked my brother whether he saw the glass as half-empty or half-full, he replied

"Neither, it's twice the size it needs to be".

Bloody engineers.

5 comments:

  1. That is the best reply to that question ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, i will be using that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I know the feeling - I'm married to an engineer!

    Mine's a mechanical engineer, the sort that makes intricate things out of bits of metal - but he's also useful for fixing broken zips and bags, putting up shelves, doing the electrics and making sure nothing is ever thrown away if it can possibly be mended :-) So he has his uses!

    If you (and your dad and brother) haven't already seen the Dilbert 'The Knack' video clip, take a look, it's hilarious - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYDgncMhXw

    It sums up my other half to a tee! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that reply, its brilliant. i definitely know how you feel, my best friend is a civil engineer and i'll often mention something like a bridge and then instantly regret it when he's still talking to me about fluids and angles and god knows what else ten minutes later! x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog