Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Dartmoor

On Sunday, I felt like I needed to just get up and get out of the house, and decided to drive the long way around from my little village to the nearest town (the quick way is six miles. This was 13 or so). And as I was driving, I thought about the fact that while I mention that I live in South West England pretty regularly, I actually haven't really shown you much of where I live.



I live on Dartmoor National Park, and it is seriously one of my favourite places in the world. Two people have tried to speak negatively about it to me- one, an ex who said on first visiting "It's rather bleak, isn't it!?", and the other, a housemate from uni who tried to tell me that it was a scaled down version of the Peak District- and I got really defensive and quite cross at both of them.



Dartmoor is covered in rocky outcrops known as tors, formed from adamellite (not granite, as another ex pointed out) way back when the whole area was a big mass of lava. In my opinion- it's beautiful. Yes, it can be pretty bleak, but when the sun is shining and the tourists are looking awestruck and squealing at the views, it's hard to hate.



Most of these pictures are of Sharpitor, which is the closest tor to my house. When my head feels too full, one of my favourite things to do is head up there, clamber up to the top, and remember how small and new I am in comparison to everything else. It kind of puts things in perspective.



The one below, however, is of Cox Tor, which is near Tavistock basically the M5. Far too many people climbing up and down it for my liking, though there's a great place next to the car park where we used to fly kites as kids. Cox Tor is kind of jam packed full of memories for me, so it has the opposite effect of Sharpitor, but still, it's fun to head up there every now and then.


Sorry for all the pictures. I couldn't choose...

9 comments:

  1. This looks beautiful. The one thing we don't have in my part of the countryside is hills and mountains. Everywhere in my part of Lincolnshire is completely flat. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. having lived in lincolnshire all my life up until i was 22, moving to glasgow was a kind of shock having so many hills around. i love going out on hikes and driving through the countryside so it's fun to hit the road, climb a hill and then get the surprise of what is on the other side. sometimes i hit a flat bit and i think "this reminds me of home". haha.

    i love countryside though and i think it's a shame the UK doesn't get enough sunshine because her beauty really shows when the suns out.

    Carry x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did my Duke of Edinburgh gold award in Dartmoor. A truly beautiful place. (though challenging when hiking in the torrential rain)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! You can't beat living in the middle of nowhere. I love that you have somewhere to go and clear your head. Do you walk up there alone? I always fancy heading up the fells by myself when I'm feeling run down but always chicken out.

    Ann xx
    Prattle and Froth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous - I grew up on Exmoor so I know the feeling of wanting to get away and having such a beautiful expanse of land available! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pictures are beautiful. I remember driving through Dartmoor on a family holiday when I was in high school and thinking it was so serene and peaceful. You're very lucky to live there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so stunning!! I think it is just a different type of beauty to what I am used to as well, because to me that looks really flat, (I live in New Zealand and there are mountains everywhere) beautiful though, I wish I could visit :)

    theearththroughalens.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know how anyone can call land like that bleak! I might be biased because I've never lived outside a city so nature makes me get all :O but this is GORGEOUS! i'd just walk around there for hours and be alone with my thoughts :)

    xo marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many amazing memories of dartmoor, such a gorgeous landscape xo

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog