Tuesday, 16 July 2013

Thai Noodle Soup

If you've never eaten Thai food before, trust me when I say that it's absolutely amazing.



Everything M and I ate when we were away was packed full of flavor, quite often colourful, and on the whole really quite good for you- I mean, in the UK you can't get a whole mango chopped up right in front of you for 40p, can you!?

(That said, we also ate a lot of magnums and M&Ms, but come on, we were on holiday!!)

In my opinion, there's absolutely no point in eating Western food when you're somewhere like Thailand- the food there is just so delicious- and pretty cheap too. We never spent more than £5 on supper for the two of us while we were there. Conversely, we spent £30 on two cocktails in a bar on the 64th floor of a building in Bangkok, but that's a story for another day.

One of my favourite things that I ate in Thailand, however, was the noodle soup. For something very broth-y, these soups had so much flavour. Honestly, I've never had anything close in the UK- I normally find broth-y soups just taste of stock, or water.


So I decided to try to replicate this, and after a lot of searching online (most recipes were calling for coconut cream to be included- which I knew wasn't what I was after as the soups I'd tried were predominantly clear broth), I found this recipe. Of course I altered it slightly, so my recipe is below. This is perfect for a mid-week, summer recipe- it's light, incredibly quick, and so tasty. 

To serve two, you will need...


A splash of vegetable oil
Two cloves of garlic, finely sliced/ chopped
A shake of chilli flakes (to taste. You could also use fresh chilli)
A stalk of lemongrass- white part only, bashed a bit with the flat of a knife
A pint of chicken stock, plus extra boiling water
A large chicken breast, chopped into smallish pieces
2 nests of fine noodles- rice noodles are best, but I used egg
A lime
1 tbsp of fish sauce (also called nam pla)
A couple of handfuls of stir fry veg- I used the stuff you can get in a pack in the supermarket.
Coriander

Heat the oil in a pan- I used a big wok-type-thing- and fry the garlic, chilli and lemon grass for a couple of minutes until it's smelling pretty good. Then add your pint of stock and your chicken breast, and allow it to poach until cooked- this really won't take very long. Then lift out your chicken, and shred it up into smaller bites, which are still big enough to lift with chopsticks. Add your noodles, the juice of half of your lime, the fish sauce, and simmer for another couple of minutes until your noodles are nearly cooked. If at this point it isn't looking soup-y enough, add some more boiling water. Then add your veg and your chicken, simmer for another minute, then split between two bowls. Sprinkle on some chopped coriander, and add a lime wedge to each bowl for squeezing over. Eat with a spoon and chopsticks- no forks allowed!


And there you have it. The easiest thing in the world, and made from ingredients which you'll mostly have in your store cupboard. Fish sauce can be picked up fairly cheaply and pretty easily now, and if you''re interested in Thai cooking is definitely a worthwhile investment. Expect more Thai recipes in the coming weeks!

10 comments:

  1. Hellooo! I am just bobbing on over to say a massive thanks lots for a lovely comment over on my blog. Im off to have a nosey around these parts now!

    Hope you are having a lovely week xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love thai food! I have cravings now! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first saw this I thought you were at Wagamamas !
    Looks super good, gonna have to make this one at the weekend me thinks

    TazandBear

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good
    i've tried a few times to master a soup like this
    xx

    http://www.adayinmywheels.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. THat looks amazing! I'd have to swap the chicken for salmon though! And this makes me want to go to Thailand! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love thai soups... my favorite is the coconut ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so yummy! Might have to try it on the BF, he has a thing for noodles, I almost find it weird the extent of his noodle love!
    Also, I now really want a mango!

    Em x

    ReplyDelete
  8. FOOOOODS!

    My stomach is rumbling looking at these photos. I LOVE noodles, anything noodley does it for me.

    Halima

    P.S - I'd probably top myself if I was allergic to tea.... I joke, I'd probably cry just as much as you would. I feel for those that are denied the pleasure of drinking tea!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this looks amazing! I'll definitely have to try it as soon as I get a second xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds delicious! I love Thai food and it'd be amazing to go out there and taste the real thing. So jealous!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog