Sunday, 7 July 2013

Mid-Year Resolutions

July still counts as mid-year, doesn't it? Please tell me we aren't already on the downward slope towards winter and gloom? (Even if we are now after the longest day...)



Generally speaking, I'm not great at resolutions. Since 1998, I have made the exact same New Year's Resolution- to stop biting my nails. And by 2nd January every year, I have failed at this.

But I appear to have suddenly succeeded with this one, half way through the year, fifteen years (bloody hell) after I first decided to stop- turns out getting something which is likely to be elephant or water buffalo dung underneath your fingernails really stops you wanting to put your hands anywhere near your mouth. This does mean I'll actually have to invest in a nail file though. Sigh.

But anyway, in the spirit of this, I've decided to make some more resolutions in the hope I'll actually stick to them. I'm not entirely certain why I think this will work, but writing these things down seems like a good idea.  I've been feeling pretty lost recently- to the point I sobbed in a park in Bangkok over the thought of coming back to everything being the same- and really need to start making things change. So as a result, here's a list of the things I would rather like to achieve in the next 6-12 months...

- Eat less, move more. Pretty self explanatory, no?
- Actually dress for my shape. Because I certainly feel better when I look my best.
- Sort my life out. I'm talking work, where I'm living, who I'm around. I don't want to be where I am now this time next year, so I'd better start doing something about this.
- Run 10km
- Educate myself. I feel like my brain has turned to mush since finishing university. I'd like to stop this, please.
- Invest in some more proper skin care. Skin is important. Unlike a dress, you wear it every day, so why not invest? But...
- Spend money more sensibly. No more £2 here and there- I'm starting a spending diary from tomorrow.
- Be better. Work harder. Be more passionate

You know, I'm sure there were more things than that. And these aren't exactly SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, and Time-bound) goals- though I was more specific when I wrote them down in my notebook- but fingers crossed just seeing this will actually encourage me a bit. I need my muchness back!

you are not a tree
From here

Do you have anything you want to achieve in the next six months or so? I need some inspiration!

6 comments:

  1. Like you, stop biting my nails was on my list every year. Luckily though a couple of years ago I was able to kick the habit. I think some of the goals you've got are really good (though we'll see how long the spending ban lasts :) )

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to spend less too, I am already trying my best to keep a spending diary. I started it a week ago, hopefully I will keep track with my every expense and I will be able to finally spend less. I also would like to take more care of my shape, I am trying to do some physical activity. Tried to pick up swimming, but I do need so much will power to go on with it! Good luck with your resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i need to spend less too. i always fail to keep in track where my money go. and, i LOVE that quote. i'm not a tree. i think i need to really make the moving process going on schedule. le duh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hejjj. I really need to sort my life out as well, since I'm no student anymore, I need to find a job and a lovely new flat and just kind of really find a direction in which I'd like to move, find a goal towards which I can work, and maybe even get the courage to start my own venture?! Who know!
    I'm totally with you on the whole not spending money on crap anymore as well... Not just for the money, but I just want to reduce the amount of rubbish I produce :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently thought out my goals as well. I am definitely trying to spend less and save more. I am ready to move forward now that I have graduated college! I love the spending diary idea. I think I will try to implement that to help myself. Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great goals! It's amazing how a trip away from your daily life can be so life-changing.

    I also just started a spending diary, it's a little bit scary!! :( But it's good to see where your money goes (mine all goes to food... and shoes). I definitely like these, and might even take some under my wing (eat less, move more).

    I did the "sort my life out" one a couple years ago, and it's something that is always a work in progress. It gets to the point where you look at the people around you, and you just think "I'm old enough that I don't have to deal with this anymore, and I DON"T need it in my life". It's a pretty cool feeling. Terrifying because it might mean that you have to go find yourself some new friends...

    But it all works itself out, just might take a bit of time to see it.
    And now I'm rambling.
    Best of luck!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog