Monday, 8 July 2013

Happiness is... (vol. 23)

Oh it's so lovely to be home.

Don't get me wrong- I absolutely loved my holiday. I gave Mama and Brother CupAndSaucer a day-by-day, blow-by-blow account over tea and chocolate last night and it made me remember how many amazing things I did, and how lucky I've been to have had such a fab experience.

But that doesn't mean there aren't some lovely things at home. And I'm feeling particularly in need of this list today, given that I'm back at work (sob sob, I'm really not excited by this prospect).

So today, happiness is...


... my own bed. I know I've put this on these lists before, but honestly, by the end of two weeks of questionable hotel beds (including one which was rock solid, one which squeaked so loudly every time you moved it woke you up, and one in a room which we knew had cockroaches), both M and I were rather excited to get back to our own beds. It's amazing. 

... getting back in the kitchen. I've cooked a lot this weekend, and it made me realise just how much I have actually missed it. I love cooking- the kitchen is definitely my happy place.



... the right sort of post-holiday blues. That is to say, blue skies. Coming home to Britain being completely on form (warm, sunny, farmers' markets, and Murray winning Wimbledon) has made coming home far easier and has meant that so far, there haven't been any serious post-holiday blues. (Avoiding jet lag again has also helped.)

... being brave. I still can't really get over the fact that in order to go on this holiday, I stayed in a hotel, got to Heathrow, flew for 12 hours, got through Thai passport control, and got a bus across Bangkok all on my own. I know to some people this may be tiny, but there was a time not massively long ago when I was iffy about getting a train alone. I think they call that progress- and I'm very proud of it.



... breakfast. I know I've mentioned before that it's my favourite meal, but after a fortnight of white bread toast, dodgy orange juice and rubbish tea (though admittedly some lovely tropical fruit) I was really excited for a proper breakfast. For me, lazy mornings outside with fresh fruit, good tea, cereal, and juice, finished off with an unread magazine is perfection- and this is exactly how I started my Sunday.

Happy Monday everyone! What's making you happy this week?

1 comment:

  1. Lovely list today miss Alice! I think you were very brave, that was no small feat on your own, I'm sure so many people would be overwhelmed by the thought of all of that. Just think, now you've gone that far, next trip, Australia! Xx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog