Monday, 1 July 2013

Happiness Is... (vol. 22)

Are you missing me?!

I'm still away, so this is another scheduled post- again, about the general little things that make me happy. What's that poem- "we have no time to stand and stare"? I think that's true of the little things in our lives. We just rush through, not thinking of those things which actually just make ordinary days a little bit better.

So, at the moment, happiness is...

From here

... petrichor. A) I love this word because b) it means "the smell after it rains"- you know that amazing smell you get around this time of year, when the weather has been dry (HA!) for a little while (HA!) and then it rains? Yeah, that. Happiness is certainly both the smell and the word.

... new books. There really isn't anything like diving into a new book, is there? The first page- all the possibilities of what it could be... unless you're like me and often read the last sentence first. You'd be surprised at how little it actually ruins.

... training days. My last day before my holiday was a training day- amazing. I got given a free lunch, lots of tea and coffee, and got to spend my day evaluating the last few months in my job and making plans for the future, rather than my quotidian tasks. Fun times indeed!



... running around like a lunatic. Preferably in a game of tag with a tiny human. Makes you feel like you are also a tiny human- it's good for the soul, I think.

... a break from it all. As I'm writing I'm not certain, but I think I'm going to be thoroughly enjoying being mostly unplugged for these couple of weeks. I'm definitely too reliant on my phone/ laptop/ the internet, so having some time away from it all will be jolly good for me. (I'm missing you all terribly though)

Hope you're all well, and have been behaving yourselves while I'm away. If you haven't been though, be sure to leave me a comment telling me all about your misadventures!

(PS- I arrive back in Plymouth at 2am on Saturday 6th July. I probably will be posting as normal from either Sunday or Monday!)

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the smell of petrichor (the name of which I didn't know until Doctor Who told me)!! Although lately, it's been raining every. single. day. in my part of the USA soooooo....
    The smell of books are my other favorite!
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely important to take notice of those small moments in life! Those are what get me through the days that aren't going the way I planned. I love the smell of rain. It is so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize you lived in Plymouth, I was just in Brixham a few weeks ago!
    And I'm like you, I always read the last line of a book before starting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the smell of books, there's just something about them. Hope you are having a lovely and well deserved time away x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog