Tuesday, 30 July 2013

Cornwall: It's Good For The Soul

I'm a Devon girl at heart.

Porthcurnow Beach....
I may have been born in The North (Manchester's north, right?), but I am 100% a southerner. And particularly, I'm a Devonshire lass- even if I was told on the same night that I sound like I'm from "somewhere posh and well spoken" or "the South-East- are you from Surrey?". I am patriotic about my cream teas (we aren't going there again), and I absolutely love where I live. But sometimes, a little change of scenery is a good thing. And it turns out that Cornwall is good for the soul.

Thumbs up if you like the South West!

Last Thursday, I road-tripped down to meet a few friends in St Ives. L lives there, and after my incredibly clever medic friends J, B, and C had finished their exams on Monday, they headed down to camp for a few days before heading home for their summer break. I could only take a couple of days off work, so arranged to join them for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning.



It was such a perfect few days. On Thursday, we swam in the crystal clear sea at Porthcurnow Beach, ate ice cream looking at St Michael's Mount in Marazion (then did yoga, much to the amusement of the passers-by), ate fish and chips on the beach in Hayle, and then headed out for a night out in Redruth- which was one of the funniest experiences I've had in a long time.

St Michael's Mount
 

After a few hours sleep, Friday started with a very lazy morning. We then popped in to see L's sister and her beautiful little boy, whose favourite word is "YAY!" before driving to Porthtowan for cake with a sea view.


Porthtowan Beach
A quick wander down the beach and we headed back to Lidl to stock up on supplies for a perfect BBQ on Carbis Bay beach- where we got papped by Pirate FM (a local radio station, the picture is on their Facebook page if you want to get really stalker-y). We finished the night with s'mores and multiple attempts at group jumping pictures using a self timer.

Carbis Bay



This is the closest we got to us all being in the air at the same time...



Saturday morning we had to be up bright and early as the girls has places to be, and we were out of the campsite by 7:20am. So on my way back to Devon, I headed into Padstow  for a couple of hours before heading home to crash- there's definitely something to be said for getting there before 9am. No trouble parking at all. And it's easy to get pictures of bunting without tourists' heads in them.


So a busy but absolutely perfect few days. Trust me- if you head down to West Cornwall, go to any and all of the places I've just mentioned and you'll have a marvellous time. I miss it already.

8 comments:

  1. That beach looks beautiful! I really want to get down to Cornwall one time, it really looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm heading to Cornwall in September - these pics have made me very excited!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh it sounds like a lovely mini-break, the sky is so blue and I'm super jealous! I love places before 9am, they're all kind of sleepy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know life is good when you can go to an English beach in a bikini and not die, either as a result of creeps eyes burning into you or from the cold North Sea. Are you currently based in Manchester????

    Em x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a fantastic time! Your pictures have made me very jealous, when I was a nipper I'd holiday in Devon and Cornwall every summer and go on day trips to many of the places you've mentioned. You live in a beautiful neck of the woods! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like absolutely the BEST time, you look like you had lots of sunshine which always makes Cornwall a million times better - pretty Cornish villages in the sunshine are probably my favourite place to be! I was born in Cornwall and lived there until I was 7, I always adore going back. My Mum lived in Marazion for a while :) xoxo

    Rosie | A Rosie Outlook

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you had a fab time and you certainly chose the best time to go with all the hot and sunny weather!

    Porthcurno is one of my favourite beaches in the UK and the Minack Theatre up on the cliff is amazing - you have to go and see a show there (if you haven't already) - you can take your own picnic, you have the ocean in front of you and sometime the shows have to stop for passing boats and dolphins! :-) x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog