Friday, 26 July 2013

A Blogger Book Club

Do you remember, way back when, I was involved in a book swap organised by Jenny?

Well, because there were a few issues with the swap, Jenny sadly decided not to run it again. But instead she came up with something even better and asked me to help her with it. I was hugely flattered, and of course said yes straight away. Because who wouldn't want to co-host a book club?!



The idea is that we will choose a book to read, have a month or so to read it, then on a set day one of the members will host the chat on their blog. For this to work, everyone involved will need to subscribe to the comments and then there will be a chat!!!

So this is where you come in. At the moment, we're just trying to get an idea of who would be interested, and for suggestions of something great to read. We're looking for something around or under 500 pages (so we all have enough time to read it!), which isn't wildly expensive, and also available on Kindles (and other e-readers for that matter). Ideally, this will also be something quite new (though not in hard back please, I absolutely hate the things) and/ or underhyped, so as many people as possible can experience the book for the first time all together (aww, isn't that vomit inducing?)

reading
Found here
Once we've had some suggestions, Jen and I will choose the book and make an announcement telling you all to go forth and purchase said literary delight. Then in October, either Jen or I will host the chat on our blog.

Simple really!! If you'd like to take part, drop a comment below so we can get an idea of numbers- and book suggestions are very welcome!! And make sure you're following Jen and me on Twitter for any ad-hoc announcements.

This is going to be fun! 

19 comments:

  1. That sounds a great idea...I would definitely be interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep I'm def interested! Will have a think about titles - off the top of my head - Gone Girl (although it's been v popular), The Night Circus, I Capture the Castle... I have pinned tons of books that have had good reviews on my Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/nics_notebook/books-worth-reading/ x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yessss, why not?! I don't read as much fiction as I have done in the past so if that's what is on the menu then brilliant :) if we're going for non-fiction, have you read "How to be a woman" by Caitlin Moran? I am telling literally everyone about it as I thought it was AMAZING and a serious must-read. Looking forward to joining in :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Squeal. I am far too excited about this. I follow Caitlin Moran on Twitter and she's hilarious!

    Jenny | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds good. I'm interested :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm sort of interested. i read quite a lot and i've always thought about joining a book club, but my problem is that i have so many books to read on my shelf/kindle that i always feel a little put off by having a set thing to read at book clubs. so from this i'll maybe check it out and then decide each month if it's something i reckon i could read within my other planned reads. if that makes sense :)

    Carry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carry

      We certainly won't be doing this every month. I am exactly the same. Have a list of books I'd like to read that goes on and on and on. Plus I am a slow poke. We were thinking more like 2 - 3 times a year.

      Jenny | sunny sweet pea xx

      Delete
  7. Hey Alice! I would be up for something like this. Maybe one of the titles from the latest Booker Prize lists would be an idea as they are all relatively new and usually very good? Hannah x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I quite liked "The Shadow of the Wind", BUT I read it when I was 16 (I'm now 22) and can't actually remember what it's about, just that it's one of the books I've enjoyed the most ever! It's got pretty good reviews too... But I don't know whether too many people might have read it or not?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure I'd be much use helping to choose the reading material, but I'd love to take part! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds brilliant! Books that spring to mind are The Help and Cloud Atlas but I'm open to anything :)

    Ann :) x
    Prattle and Froth

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would absolutely love to and I always love to read books that are a bit out of my comfort zone, so this would be perfect for me! A little bit of everything. My email is beccicharlton@hotmail.co.uk if you need it x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would absolutely be interested!!! A book club has always sounded like so much fun, and what better platform than blogging??
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
  13. AWESOME IDEA!!

    I also hate hardbacks too! They are the most difficult things to read!x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog