Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Umbrella Collective: Travel Dreaming

We're back!


In case you hadn't guessed, or read on one of the other lovely ladies' blogs, we're now going fortnightly with our Umbrella Collective posts. And this week, AmyLaura, Rhiannon and I are imagining where we'd most like to go in the whole wide world.

Given I'm off on an exciting holiday soon, it seems a bit cheeky to be thinking of another adventure but let's be fair- it's never too early to start planning your next trip. I have a decent amount of annual leave left to use up this year, so I'm thinking of taking a little city break in September/ October time, and maybe another in March.

But it's not all about the cities. To be honest, more than anything, I want to island hop around Greece.

I have no idea why. The idea probably stemmed from some friends who on our gap year decided they were going to buy a pedalo and pedal themselves between Greek islands. When I realised their dates clashed with mine, I sobbed because I so wanted to go. (In practice, they never did it. My brother, however, drunkenly rowed from mainland Croatia to a tiny island four miles away, across one of the busiest shipping lanes in the area. But that's a story for another day).

Greece just holds a massive appeal to me. I'm certain part of it comes from studying Ancient History at university for a time- the amount of history in those places is ridiculous- and part of it definitely comes from books like Captain Corelli's Mandolin and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (stop laughing please). But I think a lot of it is just how stunningly beautiful these islands are

But come on- the idea of sailing around in turquoise seas, pulling up on a tiny island and eating olives and ridiculously fresh fish, exploring little towns and beautiful beaches, and then setting off and doing it all again the next day? Yes please.

To be honest, I'd settle for one Greek island. Paxos, Mykonos, and Santorini are top of my list, but I'm open to suggestions. Because just look. Isn't it just too beautiful?
Paxos. From here
Mykonos. From here
Santorini. From here
Paxos. From here
Amorgos. From here
Sigh. Soon. Very soon, if I get my way. 

Where would you like to go?

6 comments:

  1. I love Greece - I am off to Rhodes in 2 weeks time. I've been there before and have also been to Kos, the food is to die for, the people are so friendly and its a beautiful country!

    For a city break, I would wholeheartedly recommend Prague! Its amazing and so much to do.

    I'd like to do a coast to coast drive of the States...or go to Thailand...or Cuba...or Hawaii...ah its too hard to pick, take me everywhere!!

    Rachel x
    http://justrachel-h.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Greece. I've been a couple of times, years ago now. I'd love to go back now that I'm older and wiser and actually like olives :D

    Jen | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few years ago I did a Greek island cruise (honestly, my Dad is addicted to cruises!). We went to Santorini, Mykonos, Kefalonia and Crete and it was absolutely fantastic - although Santorini was slightly ruined by just feeling incredibly sorry for the donkeys hauling fat ass people up the hill. But yes anyway! If you ever get the chance to go island hopping do it, it's all so gorgeous - and I definitely want to hear the story about your brother one day! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. After becoming slightly obsessed with Wahaca and Mexican food I am dying to visit Mexico on a foodie tour...basically eating my way around the country! Han x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Greece! I've only been to Skiathos (and did a boat tour to Skopelos & Alonissos) and Rhodes. I really want to go to Athens and Crete for all the Greek mythology but Santorini is top of my list too as it just looks so beautiful. Great choices!

    Amy x cocktailsinteacups.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen all the photos my mum and dad have from when they travelled in Greece years ago, it just looks all so beautiful. Would be so nice to visit there. Just look at the colour of the water! x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog