Sunday, 9 June 2013

Typically British

I don’t mean to be a complete and utter stereotype, but at the same time I will freely admit to being terribly British.

 I am a tea addict, I excel at sarcasm, I apparently sound terribly posh when I’m on the phone (for the record, I’m certainly not posh). I love the Royal Family- thinking of Prince Philip at the moment in particular, and I bet I’m more excited than you about the birth of the Royal Baby- mum and I were picking names for it whilst watching the Royal Wedding in 2011 (my money is on it being a girl). 

From here
 I love a good cream tea- though the cream must always be put onto the scone first, as this is the proper Devon way to do it (and the only cream tea worth having is a Devonshire cream tea). Seriously, I’m so passionate about this final point that I have had actual full blown arguments with Cornish friends over the order of cream and jam on a scone- I get really worked up about it (for no known reason. Logically, I know that it doesn’t matter. But the mathemetician who supposedly came up with the “perfect cream tea” and put the jam on first was WRONG. How can you spread clotted cream on top of jam? It makes no sense). 
(If all of this has got you craving scones, this is a great recipe)


But I digress.

To be honest, I think there are few things more stereotypically British than Morris dancers having a jig outside of the local pub. For those of you who don’t know, Morris dancing is a traditional British (though to be more precise, English) folk dance, where people dance around wearing bells, often carrying sticks. 

Apparently the colours on their coats reflect the colours of Dartmoor. If that's the case, there should definitely be more grey.

On Wednesday morning, I had a text from my dad telling me that Morris dancers were dancing at the pub in his village that night, and asking if I wanted to join him, my step mother, and my little sister in going along and having a bit of a giggle. Come on, could you have said no to that?



I was so pleased I went- particularly when someone my dad used to work with turned out to be one of the group’s instrumentalists (inexplicably, he had painted his face green. Apparently there is a reason for this- it’s very traditional- but I have no idea why) and forced my dad to join in for a round. HILARIOUS. I will be keeping this as bribery material for as long as I live.


25 comments:

  1. This has DEFINITELY made me crave scones! I haven't seen Morris dancing in years ;') xx

    www.LaurasHaven.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither had I- but it was SO funny watching!! xx

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with you. Cream before jam. Who in their right mind would have it the other way, craziness.

    (and yes, now I want a cream tea soooo bad)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness there is another sane person out there. CREAM FIRST ALL THE WAY! xx

      Delete
  3. Brilliantly British :D suns out, scones out!!
    x x

    http://lalangostaymi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah YES Ibbs!! Sun, pimms, scones, GOOD. xx

      Delete
  4. Oh god. I put the jam on first. Mainly so I can have the biggest dollop of cream on the top :P

    Absolutely loving Rebecca by the way!!

    Jen | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo Jen, I'll have to teach you the proper way to do it at some point. I'm SO pleased you're enjoying it!! xx

      Delete
  5. Oh dear...I am a jam then cream girl! I always found you could get more clotted cream on the scone that way! Can we still be friends?! hehe Hannah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Hannah...!! I suppose I'll let you off just this once- but you can get WAY more cream on if you put it on first, honest! xx

      Delete
  6. Oh my god those scones look amazing!! Its making me want some so bad. nomnomnom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't they!? I know what I'm making next weekend! xx

      Delete
  7. Definitely cream then jam! Love the Morris Dancing, there were some in Gloucester when I went to visit my cousins there a couple of years ago, you can't really get more English! And I am SOOOOOOO excited for the Royal Baby!! Babies and royals, what more do you need?!

    Hannah xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hooo yes Hannah!! I know, Royal Baby will make my summer- I'm so excited! xx

      Delete
  8. JAM IS STICKIER THAN CREAM, WHICH MAKES IT HARDER TO SPREAD IF YOU DON'T PUT IT ON FIRST. AND IT TASTES NICER. YOU CAN JUST PLOP THE CREAM ON TOP OF JAM AND SPREAD IT NICELY! And that it all I have to say on the matter.


    Oh, and it tastes nicer.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're wrong. End of. (I still like you though. We'll just never eat scones together as I'll get too cross) xx

      Delete
  9. I'm not a scone person, I really don't like them. There said it, it's out there now. I wish I did like them as they do look so yummy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shop bought scones often aren't very nice- but homemade ones fresh from the oven are DELICIOUS! xx

      Delete
  10. 'Tis the season of morris dancers! So funny i was thinking today 'why are English people so stereotypically polite?'. Out shopping for example, bar the people who push and shove, there's always that stereotypical English person who whispers 'oops sorry' for seemingly being in the way!
    Rosie | elephants never 4get

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yes, we are SO polite- I am forever apologising, which is even funnier when I'm abroad and a) they can't understand me and b) they really don't care!! xx

      Delete
  11. am i a bad british person for not knowing there was an order to the jam and cream, or even that there was a debate about it? :0! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Er yes, a little bit. But it's OK, I think it's mostly a South-West thing, so I'll let you off :) xx

      Delete
  12. OOH SCONES! I definitely inherited my British grandmother's genes as far as tea and scones are concerned. I am going home to make some, Stat! (also I'm sorry that I put the jam on first, but I don't tend to spread the cream - just dollop it on, the more the better) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NEVER APOLOGISE FOR PUTTING THE JAM ON FIRST SUNAE, NEVER! It's the right thing to do :P x

      Delete
    2. Scones are amazing!! So jealous of you having some, I haven't made any yet. But NO, try putting the cream on first- it is SO much better that way!! xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog