Thursday, 6 June 2013

Rhossili

Remember how I said I went to Cardiff at the weekend?

When I arrived on Friday night, I was greeted with a gin and tonic, a ridiculously amazing supper and long overdue catch up with some of my favourite people in the whole entire world. And after a little too much food, a little too much wine, and no where near enough chatter, a couple of us decided to head out to the beach on Saturday morning.

JS suggested that she, JH, and I headed out to Rhossili, which she described as "just the other side of Swansea". According to Mr Google maps, Rhossili is about 60 miles from Cardiff- we definitely didn't realise this before heading off. Whoops.


But trust me- if you do decide to make the trek out there, you will not be disappointed. Rhossili sits on the Gower Peninsula, which is actually all part of the National Trust because it is just that beautiful. Seriously. The beautiful beach there is three miles long- so it's not difficult to escape the annoying people who brought a ghetto blaster and still think it's 1982. (Side note- apparently my voice is too posh to actually be able to say "ghetto" properly. Cheers, Canadians who pointed that out...!)

So to stop you all getting too jealous/ make you more jealous, here are a few snapshots of the day...



Our super healthy picnic. At least we had strawberries!!

The crossword in The I is amazing. Excuse the goose-pimpled knee, it was COLD on the cliffs.



Two of my favourite partners in crime.

This is Worms Head. You can walk across to it when the tide is out...

... or when the tide is in, you can stare wistfully through the binoculars.

Wales, sunshine, and the sea make me happy




JH maintains that this is the only beach he's been to in Wales which rivals Cornish beaches. I'm inclined to agree. Partly because of the beautiful beach, partly because of the cute little pub up on the top of the cliff. 

Do you have any beach recommendations? I didn't go to nearly enough last summer, I need to make up for it this year!

16 comments:

  1. What beautiful beaches, the photos of the blue skies and green grass are making me very jealous indeed! I'm a big fan of the beaches in Devon, but that always goes with out saying! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so beautiful there! Which Devon beach is your favourite lovely? I need some more local ones to go to haha! xx

      Delete
  2. It looks absolutely amazing there, definitely popping this on my list of places to visit :) I love the beaches in the Lakes, there's a tiny one in a place called Arnside which is a tiny and picturesque village - well worth a visit :) I also love the fact that they have binoculars up there - what a great idea! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're out that way it is SO worth a visit! I just looked up Arnside, it looks wonderful! I can see why you love it xx

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh, Cardiff looks incredibly beautiful! I can't wait to make it to the UK and go visit all of these pretty little towns <3 <3 <3

    xo
    Lost in the Haze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't Cardiff itself, but the city is definitely worth a visit- full of history and culture and rugby players!! xx

      Delete
  4. Wow what sunning views there is and look at the colour of the water, just looks so nice. I really ought to go visit around Wales again one day seeing as I'm half welsh and last time I was there was 12 years ago. Looks like you all had a great day and the weather for it too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed at the colour of the water- normally british seas are so grey! You must, it's a great place- so many cool places to explore! xx

      Delete
  5. What a lovely escape for a day trip, it looks like you had the place pretty much to yourselves!
    Totally worth those 60 miles :)
    x x x

    http://lalangostaymi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it was surprisingly quiet there actually! So lovely though, and DEFINITELY worth the trio :) xx

      Delete
  6. You were so close to my home town!! The best beach in Wales is Llanstephan!! And I'm not biased because it's 15 minutes from my mum's house. It's so unspoilt because not many tourists go there. And there's a castle. Win win. Saying that I've never been to Rhossili :P

    You've made me miss home again now, damn you :P

    Jen | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said- we'll HAVE to co-ordinate a visit! Llanstephan looks AMAZING, so beautiful- you're so lucky to have it near to your mum's!! You should go to Rhossili though, it is so pretty. xx

      Delete
  7. ahh i love these! my granny is from the mumbles and we used to go to the gower every summer without fail, i really love those beaches - lots of memories. looks like you had a great day, i'm very jealous! i'd love to be able to give you a recommendation for beaches, but being from birmingham doesn't often help in this regard! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beaches there are so beautiful- I couldn't believe that I'd never been! Hahaha no, I can't imagine you do have many- but if any come up, let me know! xx

      Delete
    2. Three Cliffs is my favourite! :-)

      Delete
  8. I love this beach!! it's like a 25 min drive from me so always head down gower. Those steps are a killer on the way bk up rn't they.So nice to see a post about this place yey! :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog