Monday, 3 June 2013

Happiness Is... (vol.18)

This weekend was a bit whistlestop really!! Is it just me that feels like busy weekends seem so much longer? My weekend involved a trip to Cardiff to see my amazing uni friends (which itself included a Chinese roast dinner, a beach trip, and conversations about which dictator you'd most like to meet), lying in the sun, a BBQ, and coming second in the pub quiz.

It was honestly one of the best weekends I've had in a very long time though. There's nothing like catching up with uni friends- because I've lived with a lot of mine (we had a big friendship group which started in halls and is still going strong, and we all swapped houses after second year), they know me in a very different way to some of my school friends.

But anyway- that's not what I'm supposed to be yabbering about. This week, happiness is...

This is the Millenium Centre at Cardiff Bay. Image from here

... Cardiff. Honestly, one of my favourite places in the world. Although I didn't go anywhere near the city centre, I have such happy memories associated with the place that just being anywhere within its boundaries makes me breathe a big sigh of relief. And there's a quote, too- I think it's Nelson Mandela- that I think of every time I go back to Cardiff: "There's nothing like returning to a place which remains unchanged to see how you yourself have altered". And it's true- I feel like I learn a bit about myself every time I'm there (ooh, bit deep for a Monday!)

... beach trips. Because of the crappy weather I haven't really been to the beach in ages. The one we went to in South Wales was particularly amazing- my friend described it as "the only beach I've been to in Wales which rivals Cornish beaches"- and I'm certainly inclined to agree. Expect a whole post on this place later in the week!



... lying in the last patch of sunshine in the garden. Our garden is bordered by very tall oak trees, which block a lot of the evening sunlight. One of my favourite things to do though is to find the last big patch, lie there with a book, and just stay there until I get cold. Bliss.

... it not being 2012. Being in Cardiff also reminded me of how horrendously stressed I was at this time last year. I had one exam left to go and was in my eighth week of being in the library seven days a week whilst revising for my final year exams for my history degree. If you're still in the midst of revision hell, I salute you and am sending lots of happy thoughts and imaginary Haribo in your direction.

Before the arrival of the obscene amounts of meat...

... BBQs. First one of the year last night, and it was amazing. We haven't had a BBQ in ages because of the terrible weather last summer, so this one tasted extra amazing. I just like the excuse to eat a hell of a lot of meat without anyone judging me (other than PETA).

What's making you happy this week?

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely week you've had, very jealous! I love meeting up with uni friends as well, all the in-jokes and the memory sharing. It is all happy nostalgia.

    I'm very jealous of you BBQ even though I can't see the meat, I know it is going to be good!

    I hope this week will be as good for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The memory sharing and nostalgia is amazing. The meat was AMAZING, and we're BBQing again today. Thanks lovely, it was a pretty good week in the end! xx

      Delete
  2. lovely post and lovely weekend!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Selene- it was a wonderful weekend! xx

      Delete
  3. All lovely things. I love bbq's for the same reason, i think Ii could easily live on a meat only diet.....
    The fact I'm seeing my best friend this weekend is making me happy this week :)

    Lauren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd need some fruit and veg, but otherwise I could probably just eat meat! Ahh I hoep you have a lovely time with him/her!! xx

      Delete
  4. Totally ditto :)
    and congrats on getting in your first BBQ of the summer, fingers crossed for many more to come!!
    x x

    http://lalangostaymi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad these things make you happy too Ibbs!! I'm so excited for more BBQs- we're having another one tonight, yay! xx

      Delete
  5. It looks like a lovely weekend! I've never been to Cardiff before, but I'm desperate to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you must go- Cardiff is an amazing city, and perfect for a little weekend away! xx

      Delete
  6. Seems like it was a reaaly great weekend you were having! That is really an example of simple human happiness!!! Delicious food, old friends, to whom you can talk about everything that pops in your head, and of course memorable places!!!

    Would you like to come visit my blog and maybe follow each other?))Please, let me know!

    Anna
    http://somethingsworthtrying.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog