Thursday, 20 June 2013

Diets, And Why I Hate Them

I'm really not trying to be controversial here. These are my personal opinions, which I'm allowed. It's just something which has been irking me recently, and on Monday at work something happened which kind of made me really angry. So I'm venting about it here.

I found this here

There are constantly new diets. Currently, there seem to be a few favourites- the 5:2, the 8-hour-diet, and no sugar (which I appreciate in some people isn't about weight loss). In my office of 13 women, we have people doing every single one of these, and one doing the Dukan diet too. So oddly enough, there's a lot of diet chatter in the office.

I don't mind this, generally speaking. It's interesting to see what people are doing and eating, and it sparks interesting debates sometimes. A couple of the women are using these diets as kick-starters for a general healthy lifestyle, and I think the 8-hour-diet could actually be really good for this (which is where you limit when you eat to one 8 hour period a day- so you aren't constantly grazing).

What I don't like is when people start telling me that I could or should be doing one of these diets. Yet today, someone was talking to me about their diet, looked at me and said "you know, I think if you did this you could lose three pounds before you go away"- which would be in less than a week.

I do not need to lose three pounds! 

I'm going to get personal here. I weigh eight and a half stone. I have a very acceptable BMI. I am perfectly healthy and in perfect proportion. 

I hate diets. Hate them. Their ubiquity makes women feel as though they should be dieting, as though there's something wrong with them if they aren't. As if they are in denial if they aren't eating a specific way. A woman in my office is beautiful, tall, and a size 6-8. She is doing the 5:2 diet. And why? In her own words "because everyone else is, and it seemed like a good idea". She hasn't got any weight to lose!!

Let's be honest here people- the only way to lose weight in a good, sensible, sustainable way is to eat less and move more. It's not difficult. It's not a quick fix, and you won't lose three stone in a week, but it's healthy.

From here

Sometimes, I am happy with my body. Sometimes I am not happy with my body. I am bloody terrified about standing in summery clothes next to my beautiful, tall, super fit, six-packed friend. But realistically, eating less won't change this. The way to make myself more body confident would be to do some exercise, which quite frankly a lot of the time I'm too lazy to do. 

And maybe as a size 8 (sometimes 10), I'm not the best placed person to rant about diets. But when people start telling me I should be doing them, I'm going to kick off. No one has the right to tell me what I should be putting into my body (except a doctor). No one has the right to make me feel inadequate about what I'm eating, or doing. 

By all means, go on a diet. By all means, have a health kick, get your five-a-day, stop eating chocolate. That's all fine. But do not restrict your calorie intake and tell me I should be too. Because maybe I'll come and rant at you personally. 

6 comments:

  1. Well said lovely. That's why you're one of my blogging favourites, because you eat chocolate chip cookies and display them proudly on your blog. We'd get on well :)

    This 5:2 diet gets to me as I just can't see how it is sustainable. It's just another fad diet that I won't be trying anytime soon. Not that I diet, ever. I even ate a fairy cake for breakfast. Just testing them of course, before I subject my work colleagues to them.

    Jen | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more! I don't need to lose weight I just need to tone the bits I don't like into shape, but when I sit and munch on a whole thing of biscuits I feel bad and like I should be "watching what I eat" because everyone else is. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hear hear! I'm all for healthy eating and knowing what your body wants, but I love a treat as much as the next person - if it is alcoholic or chocolatey I'm there!

    It is hard working in an office of women not to get sucked into the latest fad so I'm super impressed! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just nominated you for the Liebster award! Love your blog sweet! Here's the link to the post :)

    http://www.emerlilly.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/the-liebster-award-tag.html

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOOOO! Serious standing ovation coming from over here! I hate people commenting on my weight, my cellulite, or what I do/don't do for my body. I have a healthy BMI, and sort of on the tall and thin side, but I'm not toned at all because I don't like exercise. Plain and simple. To top it all off, lately I have been feeling like I'm getting diets thrown in my face constantly, and so many people of a healthy weight are doing diets which I do not think are healthy. I will do what I think is right for my body, an you have every right to do the same for yours. No one has the right (without being a doctor) to tell anyone else what to do with their body though. I couldn't agree with you more on that! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree with you more! I have never ever been on a diet and I find most of them ridiculous and when people start suggesting you should go on one too (even if your perfectly reasonable size) then it does get even more annoying

    Lauren | Bits and Bobs xx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog