Thursday, 16 May 2013

Why I Started My Blog

A little while ago, the absolutely brilliant Bella of "How Does It Feel To..." tagged me after she wrote a post on why she started her blog. And being the massive fail that I am at the moment, I read her post, got all excited, then forgot to do my own. Seriously, I am a massive mess at the moment.

Image from here. Did you know images from the Hubble Telescope are in the public domain, so you could legally have them blown up into a print or something?

Then the other day, I Kate wrote a post on this after being tagged by Amy (Keeping up? Good) and it reminded me that I needed to take part.

So here we go! Here are my reasons for starting my blog:

1. I have no life. I am mostly joking here, but not really. I finished uni last June, and moved home. In October, my boyfriend broke up with me. And suddenly, I found myself working and with weekends to fill. Now I've mentioned before that I live in a pretty rural area, and there isn't all that much to do. So one of my reasons for starting this was to force myself to get out there and do things, as I'd have to write about them. And it seems to work!

2. For the community. This was both a reason for starting and an amazing side effect of blogging. When I left school I lost touch with a lot of people (some deliberately) and most of my friends no longer live in Devon, or never did in the first place (side-eye uni friends... SO inconvenient of you to live far away). I had heard a little bit about the blogging community and thought that it might be a good way of getting to chatter to some new people (oh my god this sounds so ridiculously cringey!!). But I had no idea how wonderful everyone is. You are all awesome!!

3. To have an excuse to take ten million photos. In my first year of uni, I became our halls' unofficial photographer. I took pictures of everything and absolutely bloody loved it. But I kind of got out of the habit of it after people jokingly made fun of me for it, and really missed having snapshots of everything. This way, I get to whack out my camera (ahem, iPhone... every picture on the blog is taken on my phone. #sorrynotsorry) and snap away. 

4. To inflict my ramblings on a whole new audience. This is kind of self explanatory. I think most people get bored of my ramblings pretty quickly but you guys just can sit there are take it. Also, I like to rant a bit, and while I haven't done this much just yet, I'm sure I will soon enough. Be warned- I can be opinionated.

Aaaand I think they are my main reasons for blogging!! Why did you start?

18 comments:

  1. I love your reasons. I agree that talking to other bloggers make you feel a lot better about your blog. Sometimes i've wanted to up and leave but the community has made me stay and i think that's great! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The community is amazing- and I'm glad you've stuck around!! :) xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing, so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, lovely post! I am exactly the same with photographs, it's great to have an excuse to take them!!

    Kate x
    Just Pirouette and Carry On...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Though given that a lot of people don't know I blog, it can be a bit awkward sometimes- like "Why are you taking pictures of that!?" xx

      Delete
  4. Love number one. I can relate!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm glad it isn't just me!! xx

      Delete
  5. Those are some great reasons and I totally relate with all of them.
    There is no shame in using your iPhone! They have a good quality camera for a reason. I use mine for all my photos and THEN I instagram them all.
    I'm going to have to do a post like this one time. Though, to be honest, I don't think anyone would be overly interested in why I witter away on the internet...

    Great post as always xxx

    www.mismatchedknitwear.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it isn't just me!! The main reason I use my phone is a) I don't have a proper camera and b) it's ALWAYS with me!! Definitely do it- I'd be interested to see your reasons!! xx

      Delete
  6. Such lovely reasons for blogging. Meeting new and lovely people is one of the definite upsides.

    Lotts x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's wonderful- I haven't actually MET any of them yet, but the online community is wonderful!! xx

      Delete
  7. ahh i loved this post, i agree with the comments above, i relate to most of them too (i was my flats official photographer in first year too! i had no idea about the blogging community until i was a few months in, definitely a side effect too, but a very welcome one! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This makes me feel better about being a loser hahaa!! Aahh there was always one team photographer in Taly! xx

      Delete
  8. Aw, Alice. I am lame too, well society and our peers think we are lame. I started my blog for similar reasons. I really want to meet some bloggers, new friends are the best.

    Love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I'd love to actually meet some bloggers! Including you. Why are you so far away?! Love love xx

      Delete
  9. I love this, I can relate to your reasons very well, especially numbers 1 and 2. My uni friends are far away, I'm in a rural area, I broke up with my bf recently, and my friends are coupled up. Blogging is a top hobby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great that you can relate to them too- though not so great that your BF broke up with you- I'm definitely here if you need a chat lovely :) xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog