Wednesday, 29 May 2013

What's In My (Not-Yet-A-Mulberry) Handbag?

Yesterday, as I was doing my standard evening blog-peruse, I happened across a post on a post on Temporary:Secretary which got me really rather excited.

Money Supermarket (who seem to be pretty keen on blogger competitions, no?) are running a pretty awesome sounding competition. Show them what's in your handbag, think about how much it's worth, and possibly win some Mulberry goodies.

Yeah, I know, you're all in too, right? Just remember that I told you, so you can share your prize with me.


My enormous handbag/ satchel is from Zara- it was a Christmas present from my mum last year, and I'm not certain exactly how much it cost, but it was certainly over £100 (I'm starting the tally here, not showing off about my slightly pricy bag). I'm really not a massive handbag person- this is my main way of lugging all of my stuff around, and I don't chop and change between bags like most people seem to.

But because of this, I appear to accumulate a lot of stuff in my bag. Honestly, it's a little bit ridiculous. When I was pulling things out of it, I felt a little bit like Mary Poppins- I genuinely wouldn't have been surprised if a plant had come out.

So, as I'm sure you're all dying to know (sarcasm there, but not really because we're all nosy- don't lie, you are too), here is what's in my bag....

 


... told you it was a lot of stuff.

We'll start with the obvious bits, shall we?



My purse was also a Christmas gift, from my brother a few years ago. And when I say "a few" I mean "at least four" as I've still got ticket stubs in there from a trip to Paris in September 2010. Yeah. It's from Emma Bridgewater, and I think it was around £20- not too sure though.  On top of that is my 16-25 Railcard, which saves me many many pennies, but also cost £26... yeah, not ideal unless you're going to use it a lot.

My scarf, however, was a mere £5 from Tesco and I LOVE it. I always carry a scarf because I always get cold- and when it's a cheap as this, I don't care about squishing it up in my bag. My water bottle is a Bobble- it has a filter to filter out all the nasties in tap water (which is slightly redundant living in an area with tap water which is essentially mineral water straight off Dartmoor...). These cost around £10, but are very cheap compared to bottled water when you consider that I fill it up three times a day. I do really need to get a new filter though...

At the moment, I'm lugging around both A Clash of Kings (great conversation starter with guys, by the way...), and my Kindle, as I'm reading something for an upcoming Umbrella Collective post. So add on another £100 for the two of them, and the Kindle case...

I also have to carry snacks with me. Partly because I'm always hungry when I don't have any food with me, partly because I sometimes have blood-sugar issues and need a snack a bit sharpish. Normally, there's chocolate in my bag- you caught me on a good day (promise!).



I also have a lot of "stuff" in my bag- a Moleskine, diary and post-its, for jotting down ideas and reminders (I often have a mini post it stuck to the back of my phone to remind me to do things), and a handful of pens to go with these bits (I am obsessed with having lots of pens, in case one runs out and I don't have another...). My work ID card is also there, as are my car keys.

I also carry tissues, a kirby grip (unseen, it's tiny), Vaseline and hand cream wherever I go. I love this Burt's Bees one, £11.99, as my hands are so cracked and dry from the awful winter weather we're still having, and this seems to make a bit of a difference.

Finally, my bag also contains headphones- understandably- and a torch. Yes, a torch. I live in Deepest Darkest Devon, and at night, streetlights can be pretty few and far between. Let's just say that if I ever get lost down a country lane, I'll at least be able to see without resorting to using my phone as a torch.

So to tally up everything in my bag, including my bag itself, I'd say we're looking at around £300. Which is mildly terrifying. Though if you include my phone (which was taking the pictures) we're up to £400-odd, and  including my car (my car could be taken if my bag was lost...), you're into the thousands.

Now I'm officially terrified.

The final rule of the competition is to tag five other bloggers to take part- I'm going to tag BellaJessAnnieEmma, and Kaz, though of course you're all welcome to participate!!

16 comments:

  1. I seriously thought i was the only one who stuck post-it notes to the back of her phone! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that I was the only one! Haha great minds clearly think alike! xx

      Delete
  2. This is a gorgeous bag and I love the collection of things you have in it!! The torch comment made me smile :)
    Good luck with the competition!!
    I may have to have a cheeky go :)
    www.lanouvellenoire.blogspot.com
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm glad you appreciate my strange rural ways! Thanks lovely, I'm not convinced I'll win but it's always fun to take part!! xx

      Delete
  3. I also carry an individual tea bag in my handbag...you never know when you will need a brew! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOD why have I never thought of this!? I will DEFINITELY start doing this soon!! xx

      Delete
  4. I love everything Burts Bees and have the same exact Bobble, which, my baby is obsessed with and insists on drinking out of each day!!!! Good luck on the competition!!!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg!! I love my Bobble, it makes drinking lots of water waaaay easier! xx

      Delete
  5. my purses have so much junk in them i hate it! so many receipts and random papers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah I deliberately didn't photograph the hundreds of receipts that clog up my bag! xx

      Delete
  6. i have lots and lots of stuff in my bag too ;)
    lovely summery bag though! :D

    Rosie xo
    A Pocketful of Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie- I'm glad I'm not the only one who is giving herself future back problems!! xx

      Delete
  7. This is great! I've had a whats in my bag post in my drafts for weeks. Might be time to get it posted up! And do a tally... eek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god the tally was terrifying. But yes, definitely post it!! xx

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous bag! Like you I have a lot of stuff in my bag...I actually dread the thought of emptying it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emptying it was an experience- I had no idea I still had half of that stuff in there!! xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog