Thursday, 23 May 2013

The Devon County Show

On Saturday, my mum, grandma and I headed to Westpoint Arena for that most magical of things- The Devon County Show.

Now, if you aren't from a particularly rural area, you may have no idea what one of these strange things is. Basically, a county show is where farmers, producers, the WI, companies, and all manner of people gather from all around the county (in this case, Devon, though they happen everywhere) to show off their wares to as wide an audience as possible. My great-uncle volunteers as a steward at the Show, so we were lucky enough to get three free tickets. We were pretty pleased about this, as at £19 a ticket for an adult, we otherwise may not have gone.

But go we did, so we set off bright and early (as in 8:15am) and drove East from our little village towards Exeter. The day started pretty well, with me finding a Diet Coke bottle with my name on it (bloody brilliant marketing ploy, I didn't even want it but I had to get it). But as we drove out across the moor, we got stuck behind some cows who were out for a morning stroll. (On Monday I got stuck on my way to work in the exact same place behind the exact same cows).  Ahhh Devon!!


We then got stuck in the horrific traffic on the way into the show on the A38- seriously we queued for around an hour to travel probably less than three miles. Not ideal, particularly as we were trying to get to the show in time to see my younger brother play his cornet with the Devon Youth Brass Band. This was actually the only low point of the day, as we ended up missing about half of their set, despite leaving home two hours before they were due to play (it's normally just over an hour's journey, I do it every day for work).

But soon enough we got into the show ground, and dashed to the bandstand just in time to hear them play an arrangement of Coldplay's Viva La Vida (which sounds weird but works amazingly) and catch our breath in the sunshine.



Once we'd fulfilled our duty as loving family members and listened to the end of their set, we were free to explore the Show- and explore we did...




No idea why she was dressed like this.
There is something so classically British about something like this. Helter-skelters, ferris wheels, and candy floss just make me feel like a child all over again. This is mostly because of Goose Fair, which I'll explain more about when it happens in October.





The main reason I go to these things is for the food. I mean come on, where else can you get Oreo and Irn Bru flavoured fudge?!








Inside the actual food tent, mum and I worked our way around the entire thing. Twice. And when we momentarily lost my grandmother, we found her at the bar sampling cider. Top lady!!



Would it be Devon without copious amounts of scrumpy (cider)? I think not...

There is always a lot of cheese at these shows. And this one really went for it...


I was clearly very happy about the cheese. Sorry.
I also love the tent hosting the flower-arranging competitions (I don't recommend this if you have hayfever)- just look at how creative they were!!



It's a sheep made of CAULIFLOWER!
Though of course, animal shows still feature heavily here. Just check out some of these cuties...!










But the heavy machinery is still a pretty big deal. Massey-Ferguson is the height of cool around these here parts...! 



So after all of that, we headed home with empty pockets and lots of delicious goodies (including raspberry lemonade, sea-salted fudge, and an incredibly cherry pie).  

Seriously, if there is a county show near you- or even just a little local town show- I can't recommend it enough. Mostly because in my experience, there are always a lot of free samples of cider, fudge, and cheese.

24 comments:

  1. Eek! I love shows like this! One of my favourites is the Sturminster Newton cheese festival. They've just got that summery feel to them haven't they!
    Looks like you had lovely weather for it too :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are SO much fun, and definitely have a real summery feel. But a CHEESE FESTIVAL!? Oh I'm so jealous!! xx

      Delete
  2. Being brought up in rural south Wales I blumming love a country fair. I went to the East Anglian one with Pip the other week. I'm pretty sure it must be the same fudge stand. Surely irn bru fudge is not a common occurance. I bought some Bailey's fudge from her. It was amazing!

    Jen | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irn Bru fudge cannot be a common occurrence! We got snickers fudge, which was pretty good too, though it did make me realise that I prefer the crumbly sort of fudge (such a connoisseur, haha!) xx

      Delete
  3. I love a good country show! I can't wait for them to start again round here. Like, stupidly excited about it!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are SO much fun!! Make sure you take lots of pictures when your ones start back up! :) xx

      Delete
  4. Oh so much to comment on here!!!! Firstly, your grandmother sounds awesome, she should do a guest post!! The duck pasty sounds amazing, please tell me you tried one?? The cauliflower sheep is so cute, but I don't know I would go to that much effort for something I couldn't eat! The sausages look sooooo good, and like real meat too! Oh and then you finish off with FREE samples... I must have lost my invite in the mail Alice.....???xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah she is amazing- if she had the internet at home, she would so have her own blog! I didn't try a duck pasty, but so wish I had. Next county show (ok, it won't be til next year, but...) you MUST come!- you'd love it! xxx

      Delete
  5. I love county shows! I visited my aunty in Orkney a couple of years ago and helped prepare her sheep for the island show, then went to the mainland show with friends, then last year went my local county show when my puppy was very small and not allowed to meet other dogs properly because she hadn't had her jabs so we had to carry her round the whole way, and she got loads of attention, and we saw the sheep her mum & dad herd :) I'm hopefully going again this year but its not in my town this year so it will be travelling, but its worth it! xx

    hannahsundae.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you're a proper country show connoisseur!! Definitely worth travelling to- it took us ages to get to this one, but we had suuuch a good day! xx

      Delete
  6. This is a really fun post! I love the animal pictures and all the amazing fudge pictures!

    Definitely gonna have a look around for one near me :)

    Sophie xx

    www.sophie-acrosstheuniverse.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely do- they are all over the place so there's sure to be one relatively close to you!! xx

      Delete
  7. iron bru fudge what. i think it's time i started a petition to get that at my local county show! looks like a great day out! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah keep your eyes peeled, Jen thinks that it was at one near her so maybe the lady travels around a lot!! xx

      Delete
  8. Those cauliflower sheep have just made my day. I hope it's ok if I make that photo my desktop wallpaper? aha
    I've never been to a county show but I was especially gutted to miss the last one near me because there was a chainsaw sculpting competition!!!! Was anything that mad going on at yours? Then again you look a little bit too busy enjoying the presence of the cheeses to have probably noticed! aha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I've already said, ABSOLUTELY! Cauliflower sheep for the win. I think there was chainsaw sculpting, but I MISSED IT! Rubbish, I normally love crazy stuff like that! xx

      Delete
  9. Great post! I LOVE County Shows... we have one in Cumbria and it's amazing! I love all the animals! However it's normally very muddy and wet during ours...not so great lol. Thank so much for commenting on my blog btw xx

    OutsideBeautyInsideHealth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The animals are definitely so cute at these things!! We were seriously lucky with the weather actually, normally it's pretty damp! You're welcome, thank you for returning the favour :) xx

      Delete
  10. Ooh I was at a local festival today and it was nowhere near as good as this, I'm loving all the food samples! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food samples are DEFINITELY the best bit. SO MANY DELICIOUS THINGS!! xx

      Delete
  11. Irn Bru, and vimto fudge? Sounds really interesting! I like funky flavoured food! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They both sounded so cool- the sort of thing you only get at places like this! xx

      Delete
  12. Events like this made us so happy to be British; I doubt other countries celebrate with such random things as cake judging and flower arranging :)
    Such a lovely post.
    x x

    http://lalangostaymi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine any other country does anything quite like this!! Or if they do, ours are so much better :P Thanks lovely! xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog