Wednesday, 8 May 2013

The Big Smoke- Part One

We like London. We do not "heart" (I've never been able to work out how to do the heart thing) London, because we are British and keep our emotions tightly under control, thank you very much. Regardless, we are rather fond of the big city and appear to have taken enough photos of it to string a weekend away into two posts. Hence why this is Part One.

As I mentioned quite a few times last week (sorry, I was excited...) I spent the bank holiday weekend up in London visiting my gorgeous friend C. I've been friends with C for nearly seven years now (which just scared the hell out of me)- we met when she transferred to my school for Sixth Form- and had one of those strange friendships that got stronger when we went away to separate unis. She's generally just brilliant, and I was so happy to be going to visit her.

I started my weekend straight from work- I hopped in a taxi and zoomed straight to the station. I wound up everyone in the queue for tickets by getting the girl behind the counter to print my tickets and update my railcard, rather than sorting it at the machine, bought myself a can of gin and tonic, hopped onto the train, and enjoyed the views from First Class...




We were promised sunshine on Saturday, so C and I decided to head to Greenwich to potter in the market, the Royal Naval College and suchlike. 

However, once we got off the tube in Canary Wharf (to switch to the DLR) we were greeted with THIS.


This is not what we ordered!! In trying to escape from the train and find our way to the DLR station, we ended up inside One Canada Place. It's pretty fancy there. 

After a little wander though, we found our way onto the DLR, ended up here, and instantly fell in love with Greenwich...

This is literally what greets you when you come out of the DLR station (Cutty Sark)
We made our way over to the gorgeous market just as the sun started to poke his head out from behind the clouds again. To be on the safe side, we headed inside....


Honestly, it is amazing. I took so many pictures of things here, but I'm not going to bore you with them. All I can say is this market is brilliant, and worth the long trip out here.



We refuelled with delicious chorizo stew, and headed for the Naval College, where C's dad once studied. And oh my god it is beautiful.





From C's instagram. Doesn't she take a gorgeous picture!?



The two photos above are of the Painted Hall. This room is also reason enough to visit Greenwich- pictures cannot remotely do it justice. When we arrived, there was a sign outside saying that it would be closed that afternoon for a wedding. Imagine getting married there!

We then decided to head over to the National Maritime Museum for more sea-related learning. It is also in a beautiful building.


Now I love a good museum, but did not expect to enjoy this one as much as I did. Seriously, it is so interesting, and if you have even the remotest interest in maritime history (think pirates, commerce, the slave trade, transatlanticism...) you'll definitely enjoy this.

Imagine this coming right at you. Scary, no?

Standing on the place she wants to visit most

And now no one can dispute the importance of tea
 When we'd had our fill of the museum, we headed to The Queen's House (no, not Buckingham Palace- this was built for different queens) to have a peek at some maritime artwork. Couldn't snap any pictures, but it's definitely a good place for a little wander.


These are the Tulip Stairs- the beautiful piece in the centre is artwork by Alice Kettle

We then went and sat in the sun for a good while, ate gluten-free cake, and just admired the beauty of Greenwich, and the contrast between old London and new London. See Canary Wharf across the river?!

Finally, we wandered back to the Cutty Sark- even after all of that learning, neither of us have the faintest recollection of why it's important. Someone fill me in?!


 And after a quick supper and a lot of predrinks, we were ready for a night out in Clapham with C's amazing housemates where we all drank too much and got thrown out of a taxi on the way home. Impressive!!


And that was Day One!! Stay tuned for Sunday....

24 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely incredible! I went to London last weekend as well (also met my friend from Clapham haha.
    I absolutely love London, but I've never really been to Greenwich (apart from for a paralympics event), but it looks INCREDIBLE! I'll definitely have to go there, and I'll use your blogpost as a guide haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so weird, maybe we passed each other!! We both fell massively in love with Greenwich, you must head there- it feels like another world! :) xx

      Delete
  2. I've not done the Greenwich market before. Will need to do that next time I'm in the city.

    Bonnie Rose | A Compass Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! You should definitely check out the Royal Naval College when you're there too, so beautiful! xx

      Delete
  3. i was in greenwich a few weeks ago when i was back in england because my best friend lives by the cutty sark and my camera died and i lost all the photos so it's been nice to see these! when i was there, there were three brides kicking about and i was so jealous, absolutely gorgeous place to get married! we didn't stay in the market too long because it was absolutely heaving, glad you got to have a large look around, it did look great! looking forward to part two x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She lives there!? SO JEALOUS! It was heaving when we were there too, but we have pointy elbows ;) xx

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an amazing weekend! Love your photos. I've never been to Greenwich, but will definitely be planning a visit soon :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! Greenwich is definitely worth a visit, it feels so different to the rest of London! xx

      Delete
  5. Greenwhcih is the most amazing place ever, I frigging love it afjalkfjajk, you have some beautiful pictures of it. I'm glad you had such a great time dawwwwwwwn laandaaaaan! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pahahaha this was pretty much the exact reaction that C and I had!! Thanks lover, I did indeed!! :) xxx

      Delete
  6. I go through stages of loving London and then hating it! Some days I thinks it's the worst place ever and I never want to go back and then others I miss it so badly! After reading this post, I miss it like crazy! It looks like you ha an awesome time :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely glad that I don't live in central London most of the time, but after this weekend I could certainly live in either Clapham or Greenwich!! I did thanks lovely! xx

      Delete
  7. I love Greenwich/Cutty Sark! You're lucky you go to go on a market day. Your blog is so lovely to read and I love the photos.

    Jess x

    www.mismatchedknitwear.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fab down there, definitely will be back! Aww thanks Jess! You've put a big smile on my face xx

      Delete
  8. This looks like a brilliant weekend :) I love spending a weekend in London, but always feel a sigh of relief when I get home to my little town, I'm a country girl at heart so I'm happy to keep the busy city a train ride away! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- getting home was lovely, though I think staying slightly outside of the centre and avoiding the hugely touristy things made it feel far less intense than normal!! x

      Delete
  9. Love a good foodie market to wander through! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so jealous you got to go to London, last time I went there was 2007! I really must go again. Looks like you had an amazing time there though, everything looks so beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't been there in like 3 years before this visit- I couldn't get over it!! It was such a beautiful area xx

      Delete
  11. Looks like you had a great time - Greenwich seems beautiful! I shamefully have to admit I've only been to London once, and that was on a day trip so I didn't get to see very much at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so beautiful there, I really would recommend a visit. Oh you must take a weekend trip- you'd love it, and it feels like a little holiday!! xx

      Delete
  12. I always love your photo's, they always really make me want to visit/see where ever your talking about! That picture of the Tulip Stairs is gorgeous!!!

    Chels <3 HumbleHonesty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a lovely thing to say! You must go to Greenwich though- it is so lovely there!! xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog