Friday, 10 May 2013

Sometimes...




... all you need on a Thursday evening is an enormous bowl of spaghetti, an big cosy jumper, and a really good book (A Clash of Kings. Expect a review of A Game of Thrones very soon!).

Particularly when it's the middle of May and it's pouring and blowing a hoolie outside, and you have only seen three days of sunshine all year.

Particularly when there are some serious VIPs floating around at work with the power to put your entire department out of work, meaning long days, panicked expressions, and stressed colleagues.

Particularly when you are so tired that you picked up a biro instead of your eyeliner yesterday. Fortunately, you noticed before you started drawing on your face.

Particularly when it's been a four day week but you are still more than ready for the weekend (and wish we could have four day weeks every week)

Particularly when you are 23 but still prefer drinking squash with supper over wine, which makes you feel like a 13-year-old.

Particularly when you miss all your friends. Funny that a weekend with just one brilliant one can make you feel like that.


But after eating this, everything felt pretty OK again. Particularly given I followed it with a whole load of Ben & Jerry's.



PS- The key to a ridiculously amazing tomato and vegetable sauce is cooking your onions very slowly, balsamic vinegar, a couple of sundried tomatoes, and very slow cooking. I spent over an hour making this bowl of pasta.

PPS- Sorry about the number of pictures of food this week. Seriously, I'm not sure what's wrong with me.

19 comments:

  1. I loved this post - I'm exactly the same with drinking orange squash with my dinner (or tea as I call it!)Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange squash is amazing. I wish it were more socially acceptable to drink it all the time...!! xx

      Delete
  2. Ha, you can always count on food to cheer you up at the end of a tough day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeexactly. And food this delicious is a real winner!! xx

      Delete
  3. Squash is such a winner. I can't handle plain water some days. I hope things at work lighten up for you, what a bummer. I'm so impressed with your dedication to sauce - I can't handle my bolognaise taking like 40 minutes! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, some days plain water is just not enough!! Noooo you have to slow cook bolognaise- invest in a slow cooker and leave it in there all day when you're out and about- makes SUCH a difference!!! xxx

      Delete
  4. Just lovely! =)

    www.goodbadandfab.com
    personal style and fashion musings of a LA fashion lawyer living life in the fab lane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm eating absolutely ridiculous amounts of food at the moment (but I'm in my final 4 weeks of uni so it's kind of allowed, right? I totally agree about good tomato and/or veg sauces, slow cooked sauces are aaaaaamzing and even the cheapest ingredients can turn into a lovely meal. Yum yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally allowed! I wish I had such an excuse...! Exactly- the ingredients in the sauce weren't really anything special, but it tasted wonderful! xx

      Delete
  6. Feed me!!!! That looks great, if it were anywhere near me right now, that spaghetti would be in SERIOUS trouble!!!

    Kate x
    Just Pirouette and Carry On...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha love to! It was so delicious, I'm going to try to recreate it in a massive batch at some point I think and freeze it! xx

      Delete
  7. You're only on Clash of Kings? Come on Alice, get your priorities straight and catch up asap! aha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha my priorities CLEARLY aren't in order- I'll get to it sharpish! :) xx

      Delete
  8. Ben and Jerry's and spaghetti sound like a match made in heaven, I'm going to need a second lunch now! Thanks so much for your comment, it is so nice to hear from others who have been in similar situations!
    - Kelsey @ Time Stand Still

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so delicious! You're welcome lovely, if you'd like to chatter about it more I'm more than happy to lend an ear (or eye, given that it would probably be on a screen....) xx

      Delete
  9. That looks seriously good. I drink squash all the time, not just with dinner! Sometimes food is the answer :) (and squash). x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious!! Squash is seriously awesome- don't know how some people don't drink it hahaha xx

      Delete
  10. This looks amazing!!! Now I want pasta.
    Although, I'm going to have to Google squash? It sounds disgusting mainly because I'm thinking of the vegetable... Please tell me it's not a vegetable...
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pasta is always so good!! NO definitely not a vegetable, it's a drink- I'm going to tweet you a link to wikipedia now to show you what it actually is hahaa!! xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog