Wednesday, 15 May 2013

Raspberry and Almond Cake

Despite all my recent foodie posts, I hadn't actually baked in a while.



Going away last weekend kind of stopped me from baking (though I did take some cupcakes with me, joking that it meant we didn't need to buy any cake while I was there... we still bought cake), and I'm often too tired in the week to bake very much.

As a result, our collection of eggs had come to a bit of a peak- we get six fresh eggs from my mum's friend's farm every week, and we had about 14 eggs at the weekend. So mum left for her tennis lesson on Saturday with strict instructions- do something with the eggs!!






For some reason, the idea of raspberry and almond popped into my head, so I had a bit of an online hunt, and found this recipe, which I've adapted slightly to make a Raspberry and Almond Cake with Almond Mascarpone Buttercream.

Honestly, this cake is delicious. Really moreish with a fantastic almond-y taste, with the sweet sharp tang of raspberries. (As you'd expect from a raspberry and almond cake) It's perfect for this time of year too, as the raspberries are coming into season.



You will need:
Bowls; a electric hand whisk/ guns of steel/ a KitchenAid; scales; spoons; two 8 inch loose-bottomed cake tins, base lined with baking paper.

Cake Ingredients:
225g caster sugar
125g butter, softened
125g mascarpone
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
75g ground almonds
325g plain flour
3tsp baking powder

With your electric whisk, beat together your sugar, mascarpone and butter together until light and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time. Beat really well after each addition, and add some of your weighed flour if it seems to be splitting (to be honest, my cakes curdle/ split all the time and I don't think it makes that much of a difference). Then by hand stir in your vanilla and almonds, then fold in your flour and baking powder. To warn you- this batter will be very thick.

Split your batter between your two tins, and bake at 170C for 30 mins, or until they're beautifully golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tins for a little while, then turn out onto a cooling rack to finish.

For The Buttercream:
1 tbsp mascarpone
100g softened butter
Icing sugar (I'm sorry, I rarely weigh it!)
A splash of almond extract
A big handful raspberries

Beat together your mascarpone and butter, then add icing sugar bit by bit until it's sweet enough for you. Then add a splash of almond extract (again, to taste). Keep beating the buttercream until it's really light and fluffy (definitely easiest with an electric whisk!). Then fold through the raspberries by hand.

To assemble:
Put one cake onto a serving plate- flat side up. Then top with the buttercream (LOTS OF IT, I hate cakes with a stingy amount of buttercream). On top of the other cake, spread a couple of tablespoons of excellent quality raspberry jam (look for a high fruit content!), then invert onto the top of the other cake. Dust icing sugar across the top off the cake to finish.






Trust me- this cake is amazing. But obviously not suitable for nut allergy suffers- but if you're one of those people, you'll have realised that straight away and run away screaming at the word "Almond" in the title of this post.

16 comments:

  1. That looks delicious, especially given my love of almonds...
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love almonds! And with raspberries they are SO good... xx

      Delete
  2. My god that looks amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was pretty delicious! xx

      Delete
  3. wow i'm really impressed with your baking skills! this looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It did go down very well with my mum and brother...! xx

      Delete
  4. wow this looks amazing! fancy sending me a slice? :p xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Would have loved to- but it's all been gobbled up sadly!! xx

      Delete
  5. Oh my gooooooodness. I want this cake immediately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so tasty, you must make it!! xx

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, it was lovely- definitely one to make again!! xx

      Delete
  7. Wow, this looks and sounds amazing!!
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- it's definitely worth making :) xx

      Delete
  8. That is one of my favourite cakes here in England. That looks so yummy. x
    Bonnie Rose | a Compass Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something wonderful about raspberries and almonds! xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog