Thursday, 30 May 2013

Granola Granola

For some reason, I always says that- granola granola. Or "granooolaaaaa". It's pretty hard to just say "granola". It sounds boring (and has now lost all meaning).

Breakfast is my absolute favourite meal of the day. Seriously, I could eat breakfast and nothing else some days (and some days at uni I probably did do this...). One of my favourite "healthy" breakfasts is yoghurt, granola, and some sort of soft fruit- I absolutely love it.

I wrote "healthy" because, frankly, granola isn't that good for you. As you'll see, it's got lots of sugary things in it. I mean, it's a hell of a lot better for you than cocoa pops or nutella on toast are, but to be honest, everything in moderation (including moderation), and generally speaking, you'll be fine.

Also, this is a ridiculously easy thing to make. Seriously, it's so straightforward, a monkey could do it. Or kids, if you want to get them into a healthier breakfast- they could pick the dried fruits that they like to put in it (NOT that I am comparing kids to monkeys there!), which might encourage them to eat it?! I don't know, I'm not a parent. Just an idea.

Anyways, before I put my foot in it any more, here's the recipe. You can put anything in this, fruit/ nuts wise. And listen to this why you read the recipe/ make this, please. (Robin Thicke- Blurred Lines. It's fun to dance to, but I am not a fan of the video, so just listen, maybe?)


You Will Need:
An oven, a big bowl, spoons, a big sharp knife, a chopping board, scales, baking trays.

Ingredients:
200g mixed nuts (I used brazil nuts, hazlenuts, pecans, and almonds- but anything works)
200g porridge oats
100g mixed seeds (I used a four seed mix from Tesco)
1 tsp cinnamon/ mixed spice
3 tbsp runny honey
2 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp vegetable oil (I think coconut oil would be an amazing substitution though)
2 tbsp olive oil
150g mixed dried fruit (I used apricots, cranberries, and sultanas)

OK. Start off by chopping your nuts up in whatever way you like. I prefer smaller bits of brazil nut, and roughly chopped hazlenuts, pecans, and almonds, but whole nuts will work too if you can't be bothered....


Mix together your oats, seeds, nuts, and cinnamon in a big bowl. Then add your honey, syrup, and oils, and mix together well- it should be a bit clumpy.




Tip the lot onto two baking trays, spread out so it's not all piled in the middle, then bake at 180C for 10 minutes. Take it out, stir it around a bit, then put it back in for another 10 minutes. Then repeat, until it's all golden brown and yummy smelling.
(Quick tip- when baking anything, the moment you can properly smell it in the kitchen, check it- it's probably nearly done)

Before...
After!
Then stir through your dried fruit and leave the lot to cool. When it's cool, put it into a pretty kilner jar/ another airtight container, stash amongst the rest of your cereal, and eat for breakfast with yoghurt and fruit.


You can vary this really easily with the types of nut/ fruit you use- I think in the winter, dried apple, pear, and cranberry would be lovely, and in the summer, mango, pineapple, and banana chips would be great. 

Yum!

16 comments:

  1. Ooooh yummy! I like the look of it with all the dried fruit and nuts in. And I bet it tastes so much better than any store bought stuff and is miles healthier :)
    I made some a while back for nibbles for an epic long haul flight, hope you like it: http://lalangostaymi.blogspot.com.es/2013/03/gourmet-granola.html
    x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so yummy, and my favourite bit is that I get to put whatever I want into it!! Oooh that's such a good idea for a long haul flight snack, I'll check it out! xx

      Delete
  2. Oh I just LOVE granola and your recipe looks sublime! Yum yum, may have to sort myself out and make this! Bella xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! You must, but I'm warning you- it's addictive!! xx

      Delete
  3. Ahh now I'm craving granola!! I'm going to give this recipe a go - last time I tried to make granola it didn't work at all! What porridge oats did you use?

    Also, I love Blurred Lines, but also I'm not a massive fan of the video...kind of boring!

    Sally xx mustangandmarley.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used standard porridge oats! I would think that the oats and seeds will clump together better if you actually toast the nuts separately- I think that's what I'll do next time. You're right, the blurred lines video is DULL! xx

      Delete
  4. It's like you read my mind...I have been looking for a good granola recipe and this looks delicious!

    By the way...I have nominated you for a Liebster Award today!Can't wait to read your replies

    Hannah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha great minds think alike!! xx

      Delete
  5. I am trying this out this weekend! It looks so amazing (and because I'm on a diet I'm allowed to eat it too! Hurrah!)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely diet friendly- particularly with 0% fat greek yoghurt and lots of berries. YUMMY!! xx

      Delete
  6. Hey, great post, it looks yummy! I also LOVE this song, I'm proper obsessed with it! I Just came across your blog and I love it, your style is amazing!

    I hope you can check out my blog too. Hopefully we can also follow each other as well if you would like to :)


    www.malefashionuk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! Oh my god I am obsessed with that song too- I'm there dancing in my car whenever it comes on the radio!! xx

      Delete
  7. I love granola and it seems pretty good for you but more importantly delicious x

    http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me- it is SO delicious, I have to stop myself from eating the whole jar in one go! xx

      Delete
  8. Looks yummy, I'm seriously not a breakfast person at all but I might try making this to see if it can convert me! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOW are you not a breakfast person!? This is amazing though, I hope you like it! xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog