Wednesday, 1 May 2013

Desert Island Books

I love books. I wrote about a few of my favourites way back here, and then recently, I saw a post on "five books every woman should read" on Serena's awesome blog and I was inspired. But being me, I had to alter it a little- come on, I'm not one for following instructions (other than when I'm making pastry. Then I'm all about the rules).

I've sort of combined it with the idea of Desert Island Disks- you know, the Radio 4 thing where they ask you which five CDs you'd take with you if you were stranded on a desert island? Well I always struggle to think of five albums I'd take (though I know What's The Story (Morning Glory), and Rumours would come with me), so decided to switch it up with books.

Being stranded here wouldn't be so bad would it? Image from here



I'm not huge on recommending books- I love reading, but if I find a book which I adore, then I'm scared of recommending it to other people in case they don't like it... or alternatively, they love it so much it becomes theirs. You know like when you love a band/ singer/ song, then Radio 1 catches on and suddenly the world and his dog is their biggest fan? Yeah, that, but with books.

Anyways. Here are my recommendations. Not because they are necessarily inspirational, or teach you about anything specific, but because they're all wonderful and some of them might teach you a few things, and every single one of these I could read over and over again. If you haven't already, go and read them all NOW. 

Sandals, bikini (really old, from Topshop) and books- what more do you need?

- The Time Traveler's Wife. This is my absolute, all time FAVOURITE book. I've probably read it upwards of thirty times. I think Clare is a pretty amazing character actually- yes, she spends a lot of time waiting around for Henry, but that's not really her own fault. And in her defence, she carries on and gets things done.  I just get so caught up in this, and if I could be any fictional character, I'm likely to pick Clare.

- Birdsong I adore this. The only bits I don't like are the 1970s sections, which I appreciate are meant to act as a metaphorical slap in the face, to remind you that it's all real, but to be honest they're pretty easy to skip (sorry Mr Faulks!!). I haven't read this in a while, actually... I may have to dive back in. That is, if I can find my copy (no idea where it is. Hence why it isn't in the picture)

Emma. Yes I know everyone's favourite Jane Austen is Pride and Prejudice, but Emma is so funny. Again, a girl who is pretty independent. We like these women, they're cool. And the fact that everything backfires on her is also pretty brilliant. And my brilliant male friend J also loves Emma, which gives it a boy seal of approval too.

- Alice in Wonderland. Come on. Did you expect me not to say this? Because if I was in an unreal situation, I think I'd like to read about another brave Alice getting herself into awkward situations.

- Atonement. In my humble opinion, this is as close to perfect a book as you can get. Every time I read this, I get so wrapped up I don't want it to end, and I cry every time. I both love and hate every character in this, and think Ian McEwan has created a rare, rare thing here.

To be honest, I would want to take a whole library with me. I would want to bring Anna Karenina, Suite Francaise, the entire Harry Potter series, the Hunger Games trilogy, and now, the Game of Thrones books too, but that's against the rules. Nonetheless, if you've read all of the others, there's a few cheeky extras for you to have a look at.

Which five books would you take to a desert island?

18 comments:

  1. Love this post. All of these books are on my tbr list. I've only read Alice in Wonderland, shame on me. It is one of my all time favourites though!! The play of Birdsong is on in Norwich soon and I really want to read the book first!

    Jen | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to read them! If tickets haven't sold out, you must go- I saw it when it was in Plymouth and it was AMAZING!! xx

      Delete
  2. I love this idea. I'm always on the look out for new books to read. I've bought myself a swanky new kindle (although nothing beats an actual book) for ease whilst I'm in Malta, and I'm loving it.

    I haven't read Atonement, so maybe that will be next on my list, once I finish Game of Thrones. And I totally agree with your comments about Birdsong, great book, but the those 'modern' sections are boring compared to the rest of the book.

    xx

    (Also, I notice you haven't mentioned Life of Pi. If you haven't read it, you really should. Slow start, but a great book!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a kindle too, but definitely read standard books just as much, if not more!! Atonement should definitely be next on your list, it really is wonderful. And no, I haven't read Life of Pi! I keep meaning to though. xx

      Delete
  3. I love this! Birdsong and The Time Traveler's Wife are brilliant :)
    Not even sure where I'd begin choosing mine, but I know I Capture the Castle would be up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that on my bookshelf and haven't read it yet- but now I think I should!! xx

      Delete
  4. Time Travelers wife is one of my favorite books of all time. Such an incredible story and so well written. Birdsong's been on my "to read" list for awhile. I've got to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely fantastic, and it never gets old. Honestly, you must- it's an absolutely fantastic book!! xx

      Delete
  5. Love this post - I am halfway through Atonement and really enjoying it.

    My all time favourite book that I try to read at least once a year is Wild Swans by Jung Chang. Such a poignant read. I would have to give my other 4 a bit more thought! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read that! I'll definitely look it up though, if you love it that much it must be pretty good! x

      Delete
  6. Great post! I still haven't read Alice in Wonderland. Need to add it to my summer reads list xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) You must read it- it really is a great book. And perfect for lazy summer reading! xx

      Delete
  7. What a fun post. We have no idea what books we'd take. We'd probably like to just bring projects to work on the whole time! :) Thanks for sharing! We are so ready for the warm weather here! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd have to take books for fun though too, otherwise you'd get burned out from all the work! I know, I have LOVED the warm weather we've had this weekend! xx

      Delete
  8. Ahh you've picked such a good list :) I saw Birdsong when it was in the Aldwych Theatre in London with Ben Barnes (Prince Caspian) in it! It was a school trip and a group of us went as 6th form 'helpers' back in 2010 I think? We went to McDonalds before it started while the teachers took the younger students to Costa Coffee and who did they bump into but Sebastian Faulks himself! I could have kicked myself!!
    You have a lovely blog :) I'm so pleased to be following!!
    If you have a spare moment please check out mine and if you like what you see follow back and keep in touch! I've been inspired to do a post like this too if you don't mind?? :)
    www.lanouvellenoire.blogspot.com
    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god I would have been gutted if I had missed meeting Sebastian Faulks! Thank you lovely, and by all means do a post like this!! Make sure you send me the link to it if you do, I'd love to see what's on your list :) xx

      Delete
  9. Would deffo bring Alice too! So funny, clever and multi-layered.
    Will have to get thinking about my other 4...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Alice :) Definitely do- it's surprising how different everyone's choices are! xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog