Sunday, 12 May 2013

Being Sensible

Generally speaking, I'm a really sensible person.

From here
I was voted "most responsible/ team leader" on university trip to Paris; I once took a random drunk first year who was all alone back to her flat and tucked her up in bed with a big glass of water; I always get people to text me when they get in if they are going somewhere alone, and I can always be trusted to deliver if I'm asked to do something.

I mean, I have my moments. I got so drunk that I threw up and fell out of the car after a Christmas party right in front of my father (he found it funny); I fell asleep on the bathroom floor after a night out only to be found at 4am by my younger brother's girlfriend; I am capable of walking into things which aren't even in my way.

And when it comes to spending, I am certainly not sensible.

I don't make big enormous blow out purchases- I don't have an iPad, or a KitchenAid, or a posh camera because I can't see why I really need one (except the KitchenAid)- but I can be trusted not to buy what I'm supposed to. I go out for shoes, I'll come back with a dress. If I'm supposed to be buying a present for someone else, chances are I'll buy something for myself instead. It really is a big problem.

But yesterday, I did something really very sensible.

I bought a raincoat. This raincoat, in fact.

From here




This might possibly be the most boring thing I have ever bought, but living in the South West where it rains four out of five days (seriously, I'm probably not even exaggerating) it's kind of an essential item. I haven't owned a rain coat for about four years and thought it was about time I finally bit the bullet and sorted myself out. However, I'm hoping that buying this will now scare the rain off and mean that I never have to wear it. (So far this is working)

Clearly this is an achievement for me, as I sent my mum this after purchasing it:


But actually, it wasn't all that sensible because I wasn't supposed to be spending money in the first place. Oops.

9 comments:

  1. This is a lovely raincoat - I ended up with a really practical but totally shapeless number!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like the fact that it's practical, but still looks halfway decent on- then again, practical clothes don't really have to look good, do they?! My walking boots certainly don't... xx

      Delete
  2. tell me about it!!!
    when it comes to rain coat, hiking shoes, bagpack, i have less sense. if i like it, i'll buy it. when it comes too book, i have no sense at all. i can spend hundreds everytime i'm in a book store. ooops.

    and for that rain coat, i'd definitely spend money money money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have absolutely no sense when it comes to books- if I'm on a budget I can't even go near a bookshop!! xx

      Delete
  3. ahaha, this would be my mums response too! I too am that friend who looks after everyone else while they get drunk and also does not own a waterproof coat! Are we the same person??? Well done though Alice, it is a nice waterproof coat too. You get a thumbs up from me and your mum now!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I'm starting to think we might be- except you have better clothes. Haha thanks- now you have to go and buy a raincoat too!! xx

      Delete
  4. Haha oops spending your money but you'll thank yourself when it's raining next! Also, today is international M.E awareness day, I have a post up trying to raise awareness of such a devastating illness that I unfortunately suffer with. I'm asking you blogger to blogger, woman to woman, to take a few minutes to have a read and help me raise awareness, I would really appreciate it!
    Xxx Hayley-Eszti

    www.hayleyeszti.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I might have to look into buying a new, actually waterproof raincoat this year. I have a lot of coats, but none that I really enjoy wearing...
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it- I have actually really appreciated wearing this one. Though my hope of it stopping the rain clearly hasn't happened... xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog