Saturday, 27 April 2013

Pretty Things

I really am not a girly girl.

Don't get me wrong, I'm feminine- I love pretty dresses, baking, flowers, and chocolate- but I'm not a girl. Come on. I've only ever lived with male siblings, and in my final year at uni I lived with three boys and totally wasn't fazed by it. I don't wear make up (other than eyeliner and mascara), I don't get my nails done, I have never had a facial. And I am terrible at accessorizing.

Except for a few things. My charity shop scarf is a new favourite, and in general I'm pretty good with scarves- but there are a few other bits and pieces which I go back to again and again and again. And oddly enough, they all have some sort of sentimental meaning to them.


 These are my absolute favourite earrings. My nanna, who passed away in 2009, gave them to me one day when I went to visit her. I was wearing a turquoise jumper, and she looked at me, jumped up from the dining table (well, jumped as well as a 70 year old woman ever can), and said "I have something which will look lovely with that". She brought these back downstairs, and I agreed that they were beautiful. She tipped them into my hand, closed my fingers around them, and said "You keep them". They're the only earrings I wear on a regular basis.

The turtle's name is Burt, by the way...
I cannot leave the house without my watch and bracelet- I feel naked. I know some people aren't really keen on Pandora bracelets, but I love mine. My mum gave it to me for my 21st birthday, and when I opened it in front of my uni friends, they all glanced around the table at each other looking a bit worried. Turns out they had bought me one too! They maintain that this is evidence that they know me as well as my mum does- she disagrees though. All of the charms/ beads/ whatever they're called have a meaning behind them, or were gifts- and I'm sticking to a red/ white/ pink/ silver colour scheme because the first one I received contained garnets, which is my birth stone. The watch was a Christmas gift from my dad last year- he picked it out all by himself, and I was pretty proud of him- bless him, he isn't always known  for getting it right without a bit of guidance.


These pearls used to belong to my great-grandmother. After she passed away, I received a few pieces of her jewellery- mostly because my grandma has two daughters, but only one granddaughter, so she decides it's fairer to give things like this to me, and not to either my aunt or my mum. These are my fancy-pants pearls- any time I need to look respectable, on they go. Their first outing was a friend's black-tie 21st birthday, when I wore them with a pretty black dress as I attempted to do somersaults on a Twister bouncy castle. Classy lady.

Do you have any pieces of jewellery which you always go back to?

10 comments:

  1. Your Grandmother obviously had excellent taste! Such beautiful pieces!

    I have some pearls that I was given as a 21st Birthday present with a matching bracelet. I like to get them out for special occasions. I always, always, always wear both my Grandmother's wedding rings. They both chose simple gold bands. Even though the two women never met you'd think they were meant to go together!!!

    Great post lovely xx

    Kate
    Just Pirouette and Carry On...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- I'm really very lucky!! That's so sweet that you wear your grandmothers' rings- I'm sure they'd love that! xx

      Delete
  2. feeling you with the girly thing (three brothers and a stint at a boys school, never helps!). i love that your jewellery seems all so sentimental! love the pearls too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How on earth did you end up at a boy's school!? Joint for sixth form? Me too- I like that it has a story if someone comments on something :) xx

      Delete
  3. Oh those pearls are incredible! I would die for a string of pearls! I have a beautiful pearl bracelet that is my special go-to piece that I just love and I have pink pearls from my 21st that are so feminine I just love them!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so lovely aren't they? A pearl bracelet would be lovely- and I adore pink pearls too, you're right about them being so feminine! xx

      Delete
  4. Oh the woman had taste you lucky girl. It's nice to see what taste the amazing women in our family had. I am inheriting a ring that goes to the eldest daughter of the eldest daughter and I have a pocket watch charm that belonged to my granddad I keep on a chain and a necklace of my mum's the only thing I am so scared to wear any f them incase they break cos knowing my luck they bloody would too. So glad to hear your new scarf has become your favourite, it is a beauty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really did!! Oh that's such a cool tradition! It's true, I do worry about things breaking- but at the same time, I would rather wear them (occasionally, not every day of course!) than let them rust in drawer, I think... xx

      Delete
  5. those earrings! wow. lovely. i always wear the same rings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them! That's lovely- I also have a ring from my grandmother, but I'm too frightened to wear it!! xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog