Saturday, 20 April 2013

I Know What You're Doing This Summer...

Well as always that title is a lie as I don't know what you're doing this summer, unless you've written a post about it or told me personally. If you have written a post about it, leave me a link, because I may well have missed it- for some reason, I'm struggling to find the time to read everyone's wonderful blogs at the moment. Does everyone fancy stopping posting for a while, so I can have some time to catch up? Ta...

Anyway. So I don't know what you're doing this summer, and you certainly don't know what I'm doing. This is mostly because I don't know what I'll be doing- hell, I don't even know what I'm doing this weekend.

But I like making plans- I like making lists of things I want to do, and going through and ticking them off. And given that the weather is so lovely and sunny, I'm in a very summer mood right now. So here is my list of what I'm going to do this summer. It'll also give me plenty of ideas of things to do and post about because you know, that's the reason I do everything in my life. (Please sense the sarcasm in that sentence. That said, if I do some of these things, I will pretty certainly be posting about them.)

Anyway. Here is a list of things I am going to do this summer:

- A trip to Paignton Zoo. I absolutely love the zoo, and this one is particularly cool- they have a section where the lemurs live, where you can literally walk through the enclosure. And giraffes, which are my absolute favourites. 


- A picnic at Cadover bridge. This is a really popular picnic/ free day out place near to me. Given that it's literally five minutes drive from my house, I really should make the most of it.

-BBQs! I love BBQs, and we definitely don't have nice enough weather for them often enough. I think my family's mistake is always trying to have them in the evening. Even in August, it's freezing after 6pm in the UK, so clearly lunchtime BBQs are the way forward.

-  A day trip to Mount Edgecumbe. This is a gorgeous stately home and gardens really close to me- which you can get to by getting a little boat across the estuary  For some reason, it really reminds me of Manderley, from Rebecca, and it's one of my favourite ways to spend a day in the area.

See, isn't the house gorgeous? Image from here
- The Aquarium! I bloody love the aquarium, but sadly it makes my two besties feel sick (something about water and glass and I don't really get it) so this one may be a solo trip on a rainy Saturday. You'll find me elbowing the kids out of the way so I can get to find Nemo.

- The British Fireworks Championships. Every year, on the second Tuesday and Wednesday in August, Plymouth plays host to the British Fireworks Championship. It's all totally free to watch, so half of Plymouth descend on the Hoe, sit around with picnics, and watch the fireworks. It's amazing- if you're in the area and you haven't been before you are missing out.

Image from here
- Go on holiday!! My friend M and I are currently discussing where to go. Vietnam is looking pretty likely and I am SO excited about this. It's so high on my to-visit list (I'm admitting that this is because of Top Gear), and it would be a great way to spend a fortnight off from work. Cambodia and Laos are also possibilities at the moment- I'm sure I'll keep you posted!!

- Beach trips. I'm so lucky to live relatively near the coast- in Devon, you aren't ever far away from a pretty decent beach. I really need to make the most of this more- I don't actually think I went to a Devon/ Cornish beach last year. How bad is that!?


-  The Camel Trail. Again. I bloody love it, and it makes me feel like I'm entitled to eat a big fat pasty/ fish and chips at the end of it. Though who am I kidding- if I drove to Padstow, I'd still eat a big fat pasty or fish and chips...

- Read a LOT of books. I have a huge stack of unread books in my room- and now I've started on the Game of Thrones books, I'm just going to want to read them all. When I'll find time for this, I'm not entirely sure, but I'm well intentioned at least.

- A picnic in the garden. Just because.

- Run around the Burrator. This is more of a challenge than anything. I'm running occasionally again, and by the end of the summer I would love to be able to run the whole way around this without stopping. At the moment, I could probably do a load of it, but am too scared of the pro-runners/ dog walkers/ bike riders that are always there to make a fool of myself.



Do you have a summer to-do list? Let me know what your plans are, I'm really very nosy.

17 comments:

  1. I really like some of the idea's you have on this list. You should definitely to go Vietnam if you have the chance. I went two years ago. It's such a great experience, and a huge culture shock. You should also check out Laos and Cambodia if you get the chance. Laos is the most beautiful country I have ever seen (if you go, check out the Kuang Si Waterfall) and Cambodia will open your eyes to some seriously unbelievable history. I had an amazing time on my trips, so if you have any questions, feel free to email me :)

    becominghugo.blogspot.com

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah we're currently deciding, but I think that would be my preference. We only have two weeks (silly work!) so will probably stick to one country, but I may well pick your brain on this one, thank you!! xx

      Delete
    2. Anytime :) also, I've tagged you in post to say thanks for tagging me before!

      http://becominghugo.blogspot.com/2013/04/tag-this-or-that.html

      xx

      Delete
  2. Lists like this make me wanna live down south...there's so much more to do down there!
    And that stately home is amazing - I wish I could live somewhere like that.

    Hope you have a lovely summer and I'll look forward to photos and blog posts about each point.

    Oh by the way, I've nominated you for a blogger award! If you'd like to find out more about it check it out here - http://bitly.com/105yXzq .


    Best wishes,
    Danielle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think so!? After about 5pm there's very little to do around here- and I'm sure you have some great stately homes/ zoos/ etc near you too! :) Thank you for the nomination! I'll definitely try to give it a go :) xx

      Delete
  3. Wow - Vietnam sounds fantastic. I cannot wait for the summer...I am heading off to Vegas to get married then going on a little road trip up to San Fran! Hannah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god your summer sounds amazing! Getting married in Vegas is SO cool, and I would love to do that road trip. Cannot wait to see pictures and hear more details!!! xx

      Delete
  4. Great ideas for Summer, I hope Summer does eventually come though, not just 1 week of sunshine. I want to do a boat trip on the river this year, I did it as a child and it was so much fun!
    Love Hayley-Eszti

    www.hayleyeszti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too!! Apparently a late spring can mean a good summer though... And a boat trip is a great idea, may add that one to my list!! xx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm excited to do them all!! x

      Delete
  6. I am very jealous of where you live. I've only been to Devon twice, and Cornwall twice but I've loved both both times. I've cycled The Camel Trail, or at least some of it. The Camel runs through the garden of a friend of our family's. I went to an otter sanctuary when I was there which was really good, and great if you want to pick up some peacock feathers! We also went on a river cruise down the Dart which was lovely, it really stands out in my memory and I was only little. The Big Sheep stands out aswell! If you ever fancy taking a trip out of Devon, may I recommend North Wales (or any Wales, its quite spectacular). You've inspired me to make a summer to-do list, camping in Somerset is already booked, but I'm tempted to go on to Devon and/or Cornwall :) Have a lovely summer!!
    Hannah xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Devon and Cornwall are both gorgeous, I admit- Devon is my favourite though! A river cruise sounds fab, I don't think I've ever done that. Oh I adore Wales- I went to uni in Cardiff and have spent time all over- St Davids and the Betwys-y-Coed area are both STUNNING! Enjoy camping, it's always so much fun! xx

      Delete
  7. Your summer looks brilliant! I LOVE going to the zoo and the aquarium!! :D Those fireworks look amazing. I think that you have just motivated me to start planning out a few things that I want to do this summer :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fireworks are genuinely incredible- such a good evening! Definitely do it- it's great to get some ideas down on paper! xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog