Sunday, 28 April 2013

I Am Superwoman

At least, I like to tell myself that I am superwoman. Mostly when I've done something particularly domesticated, like ironing, making supper, or putting the washing out, without burning myself, falling over, or walking into something.



I'd love to have a superpower. Still can't work out which one though. I mean, people always think of the obvious ones, and I always think of the flaws:

Invisibility- but people would forget I existed
Super hearing- I'd overhear things I don't want to know
Flying- good god that would be scary. I'll stick to planes.
Telekenisis- Come on, is lifting things really all that difficult?

I like the idea of slightly less normal superpowers, but these aren't always much better. Wolverine and Doctor Who (come on, he has to count...) have powers of regeneration which are pretty cool- though apparently it's painful when those claws come flying out. Running through walls would be fun... but would you not just fall through seats and the floor and end up in the centre of the universe? Being bitten by a radioactive spider is my worst nightmare. And Batman? Come on, he just has far too much money to burn.

I suppose if I were to have a real superpower, I'd like to be able to control time. Travel in it, stop it, make it move more slowly (or more quickly, like when you have to sit through five hours of meetings on a Friday). Even though if you've read The Time Traveler's Wife (and if you haven't why the hell not?!), you realise that even if you can time travel, you can't change what has or will happen (which would be stressful), I think I'd like being able to control time. And teleport. That's just a bonus one.

I think I just love the idea of superheroes. Ordinary people thrown into extraordinary situations (other than you Superman. You're supposed to be like that) and forced to step up to the plate. With great power comes great responsibility, after all. 

I think we could learn a lot from superheroes. Yes, they're quiet often idiotic and do stupid things. But I would like to think that if I was in a situation where I could stop a bad guy, save a kitten, or throw myself in the way of an oncoming bus to save a stranger, I would. And I think a lot of you would too.

At the end of the say, we're all superheroes really. We all have things which make us a bit different. We are all thrown into extraordinary situations and have to deal with it. We all have something awesome about ourselves that we sometimes feel we have to hide. And sometimes, when life is throwing all the shit it can at you, the ability to just get out of bed and carry on is a superpower in itself.




And to paraphrase Alex Karev- at the end of the day- even if you take away Green Lantern's ring, the guy's still a hero. 

12 comments:

  1. I've thought long and hard about what super power I would like, and it's taken me years to decide! But now I'm sure: Infinite Knowledge. I knowwww I sounds incredibly geeky, but I'm certain. I *hate* not knowing things. Even things like unsolved mysteries- it bugs me I don't know Whodunnit or Whereitis. I would like everything- every piece of knowledge, every minuscule fact, tucked away inside my head for me to browse at my leisure. Oh god. I'd be *such* a boring superhero!!!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good one!! I'd like that too I think- as long as I got a choice, because I'm sure there are some things I wouldn't want to know. Not boring, you'd be able to solve EVERY crime, which people would love!! xx

      Delete
  2. Give me teleportation and I'll be happy. I mean, how awesome would that be? Study/work in London, and come home every night to my boyfriend <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be amazing- I can definitely see why you'd want that power :) xx

      Delete
  3. i used to think about being able to see little thougt bubbles over everyones heads, to see whats really running through their mind. and then i realized i dont think i would very much like that! ive also wanted to freeze time, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would be great if you could switch it on and off!! Freezing time would be the best :) xx

      Delete
  4. I have to say teleportation too, the amount of miles I walk every year and all the journeys on buses or more so waiting around until I can get on a bus that has room for the pushchair. Though sometimes I would love to be able to shoot fireballs, my mum tried to convince she was related to Cain(I think it's him) on Charmed and that she could do the whole fireball thing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But think of all the free exercise you're getting! Hahaha shooting fireballs would be AMAZING!! xx

      Delete
  5. As bad as it is... I think I'd love to read people's minds. I mean, obviously it has it's downfalls but it'd be pretty sweet, especially if you never told any one and didn't have a panicked FREAK when you find out.... *cough*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely love that- I just don't think I'd be able to control my reactions well enough/ pretend I didn't know what people had thought about me!! xx

      Delete
  6. I'd love to be able to speak every language. I'm always so impressed when I meet someone who can speak another language

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great one!!! I had never thought of that, I'd love it! xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog