Sunday, 7 April 2013

French Women Have The Best Clothes

Once again, my title isn't strictly true. I'm well aware that that is an enormous generalisation. It should read SOME French Women Have The Best Clothes, but I decided that extra word would make the title far too long. Now I'm realising one extra word in the title would have been better than this whole little paragraph, but not to worry, I've written it now and that's that.

Having studied French for 10 years, I have a pretty sound grounding in the lingo. (Enough to know that lingo isn't a French word at all.) That said, I tried to comment on a post on Suzy's lovely blog in French yesterday and failed miserably, which was mildly hilarious. But in general, I love France, I love the French language, I love French food, and in particular, I love French style. I'm not a fashion blogger, and I never will be. I don't really think I have a personal style- other than trying to wear black, white, stripes, or all three in as many outfits as possible- but this is something I love.

DON'T CLICK AWAY- I KNOW WE ALL DO BUT BEAR* WITH ME HERE.

It all started with a pashmina. 
On a Frexchange (French Exchange to the uninitiated) in year 10, when I was matched with a flamboyant French boy (who now works in fashion all over the world, and posts pictures on FB which make me too jealous for words of his glamorous lifestyle. So should have kept in touch properly), the girls from my school and I noticed that all of these gorgeous French girls topped their outfits off with beautiful scarves. We decided we HAD to join this supercool club, and we all bought "Frenchy style scarves". I've never looked back.

Frenchy style scarf, Clemence Poesy style- who doesn't love her?! Image from here

My current long term plan is to find a brave man and move to France with him (I'm too scared to go alone and the mystical He will make me brave enough to do it).  And I have decided that while I live there, I will develop the perfect Frenchy style wardrobe.

Yet however hard I try, I cannot successfully emulate this style. OK, I don't try very hard, but my Britishness almost always shines through and gives me away- either by my shirt being oversized, or my shoes not being right, or having a hem falling down on my too-short-to-be-French skirt, or just too much jersey. That and the fact that I'm just not cool enough to be French.

So here is some French style inspiration for me, mostly. If you want to join me in the French style-ness, go ahead, but don't be successful at it, or we won't be able to be friends. Please note- these pictures might not actually all be of French women. It's just the sort of stuff I associate with that sort of style, OK!?

I have pretty much the exact outfit and cannot make myself look like this. Fail. Image from here.
Found here
Admittedly, her eyeshadow scares me a little. From here
From here
Yeah. I don't think I'll ever be as cool as all this, but a girl can dream, right?!


*By the way. This IS the correct "bear" for this situation. If you say "bare with me" I will assume you want people to get naked with you. Incorrect use of bear/ bare winds me up almost as much as an incorrect their/there/ they're.

21 comments:

  1. Hahaha this is not true, your comment was perfect and I loved the fact you tried to write in French!
    (I learnt something, I must admit I had always written "bare with me". But now that I know the true meaning of this I'm tempted to keep on writing it like that. BARE WITH ME PEOPLE! Hahaha.)
    So, onto French styyyyyle.
    We have this reputation, that's true. But if you come to France, you will see that it must be like 2% of the population. Ho, and they all live in Paris haha. So you can come and live in France and I'm 99% sure you'll have better style than most of them ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vous êtes trop sympa Suzy, c'était affreux!! Oui, maintenant vous connaissez, c'est plus drôle à dire "bare with me"- et alors vous pouvez rire à votre blague!
      Oui- certainement c'est une grande généralisation- mais j’aime l’idée que mon style est meilleure que les femmes françaises, hahaha ! xx
      (Once again, please accept my apologies- I do try haha!) x

      Delete
  2. Every one if these pictures show women wearing such simple outfits a d yet looks so bloomin' chic. If I try it I look like Waynetta Slob!!

    So glad you mentioned bear/bare I am constantly being "corrected" on this front even though I'm right! I shall point people your way in future!

    Kate :)
    Just Pirouette and Carry On...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW. That's the thing- I think it takes a very specific sort of woman to look this cool in such simple clothes. I'm sure you would look lovely though :)
      Haha thanks- it is something that really winds me up, so I thought I'd chuck it in there! xx

      Delete
  3. I studied French and Spanish and I feel the same way about women from both of these countries! I also think it's really funny when you ask French and Spanish women about what they think 'British Style' is! Hannah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm sure it's true that they have a very clear idea of what British style is- and I'm damn sure I don't fit it! xx

      Delete
  4. My englishness makes me hate all things French. especially because they're so.damn.sexy. Urgh. That's my insight... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pahaha this is amazing. A friend of mine also instinctively hates all things French due to his Britishness- and he lived there for a year. Damn them sexy French people! (particularly the men.) xxx

      Delete
  5. I love this post!! While I may not try to look like I'm from France, I see these outfits on celebrities, on blogs, and on Pinterest and try to do it myself. I always end up wondering why I look nothing like the girl in the picture...
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I NEVER look like the girl in the picture. But never mind- I'm sure those French girls are jealous of my cool British style... right?! Haha xx

      Delete
  6. I have to agree, my sister and her friends have some of the simplest yet prettiest clothes and always look flawless in photos. It's always such, not to be mean, but plain outfits but when they wear them they look so chic, sophisticated and just well expensive looking. Check you out and your french writing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what it is- there's just something in the way they carry the clothes off which makes them look expensive and chic!! So jealous, I want to be your sister (she lives in Paris, right?) Haha thanks, it's not great but I like trying! x

      Delete
  7. I love that the French live up to their stereotype with the Breton striped tops. However, the majority of people here in Grenoble don't dress well at all! Puffa coats, EVERYWHERE. Eugh x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah definitely did NOT pick stereotypical pictures...!! Puffa coats?! LOOOOVELY!! xx

      Delete
  8. I often imagine taking trips to Paris and somehow transforming into a very glamorous and chic person, however, like you, my britishness always seems to shine through. Perhaps the french look over to us and dream of becoming beautiful English roses? Well, we can tell ourselves this to make us feel better!

    Lauren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I bet they do. I'm definitely going to just tell myself this whenever I'm feeling inadequate hahaa xx

      Delete
  9. Great collections of pictures Alice. French ladies really do have the most awesome style, don't they?

    x Elena @ Randomly Happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh they do- I think it's just that cool elegance they have! x

      Delete
  10. loooooove the french style!! i saw clemence posey in person at the Burberry show a year or so ago, she makes the most simple outfits look so chic!!

    bckbld.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so gorgeous- I have a huge girl crush on her!! x

      Delete
  11. WOW It's so beautiful I like your blog. A beautifully crafted designer salwar kameez is the best bet to look glamorous at the same time sophisticated and decent. I'm really impressed with your party wear Salwar Kameez collections. Online salwar kameez in india

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog