Saturday, 6 April 2013

Everything Will Be Alright

I had a bit of a moment last night.

This has no bearing on anything else in the post. I just like Paris.

I came in from work and just burst into tears on my mum. Sobbed about everything that's been getting me down over the past few weeks- and it did make me feel better. Crying to your mum is so much more therapeutic than crying to anyone else (and I should know. After years of not crying, since 2009/10 I've barely stopped).

I sobbed about work- how I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would, and how I don't feel like I'm using my brain as much as I would like. I cried about how much I've had to spend recently- new cars aren't cheap, and when you smash your iPhone screen three days later and have to fork out £140 for a new one it really does feel like the end of the world. I wept because I feel like I am in need of some good luck for a change. I cried just because I haven't had a good cry in an age.

And contrary to the popular belief, having a cry doesn't really make me feel better. It makes my rosacea flare up, and I end up feeling drained for ages. So I moped through a delicious supper of homemade curry (with plenty of naan and mango chutney, of course). 

But after dinner, I felt like I needed to do something. I don't really do moping any more. So I pulled on my favourite sparkly shoes, and headed to the local Co-op (popularly known as the Coop. Does anyone else do that? Just us? Ok then....) to buy the ingredients for Meg's incredible fudge.

Soz for the graininess of the photo...!

And when I went to pay, the sweet boy at the checkout grinned at me, and asked "Are you baking, by any chance?", and I could help but chuckle as I admitted that yes, I was, of sorts. (I have such a rockstar lifestyle- baking on a Friday night, woop!) We had a little chat about baking- apparently he baked biscuits which didn't turn out well last week- and he sent me on my way with a smile and told me to have fun.

And I got home, rolled up my sleeves, whacked on Elbow's The Seldom Seen Kid, which appears to be my go-to feel better album, and set my pot of fudge going. And I felt so much better. Proof that putting your favourite shoes on (even just for a trip to the supermarket), a few kind words from a stranger, and getting into the kitchen is enough to make anything seem better. Particularly when what you're making is as delicious as this:



At least until Monday. And two days respite from the crap is better than nothing, I think.

22 comments:

  1. Your fudge looks delicious ! Hope you'll feel better soon. There's nothing best than a stranger being nice to me when I feel blah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did make me feel so much better- it's a funny thing! Thanks lovely :) xx

      Delete
  2. Sending you lots of love darling girl. It will get better! I promise. If all else fails we can run away together xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my love- if it doesn't improve, running away together sounds like an awesome idea to me. I'll keep you posted hahaha xxx

      Delete
  3. That fudge looks delicious!! I'll have to find a recipe and try it myself (although Lord knows, that'll be a failure on my part...).
    I hope it gets better soon - that you find a job you love and things get better :)
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try Meg's recipe I linked in the post- it is SO SO easy, I was so impressed!! Thank you lovely, I'm sure they will get better too :) xx

      Delete
  4. There is nothing that cannot be made better with fudge!! And that looks like AMAZING fudge! Glad you're feeling brighter...

    Kate x
    Just Pirouette and Carry On...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea and fudge seriously improve EVERYTHING. And this stuff is so good I'm in serious danger of giving myself diabetes, which would be a whole new problem hahha!! x

      Delete
  5. Sometimes a good cry is all you need. Hope it all sorts itself out for you. I've never had fudge so I can't comment on how good/bad is tastes but I WANT your shoes! Big hugs

    Rhiannon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does help sometimes. YOU HAVE NEVER HAD FUDGE?! HOW!? You must rectify this immediately. Shoes were from Zara in the sale after Christmas! xx

      Delete
  6. I ALWAYS call it the coop! Must be a southern thing! Sometimes the simplest things can turn a mood right around! Glad your feeling better x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah glad it isn't just me that calls it that! It's so true that the little things really help. x

      Delete
  7. Aw bless you. We all have times like this now and again. I hope the baking and sweet smiles made you feel better. Plus one of my favourite albums ever!! And I call it coop and I call Wetherspoons 'where's my spoon' add that to your collection! :D

    Jen | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just me...! :) It is a cracking album, I can listen to it over and over! Where's my spoon is amazing- I will DEFINITELY be using that one!!! xx

      Delete
  8. oh no :( I hope you feel better now! It's so horrible when you just feel like every single thing isn't going as well as you would like it too! I hope you enjoyed your baking though :)

    My parents say "Cwop"... They're so bloody cornish!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do thanks lovely- the sunshine has definitely helped! Baking was definitely fun. And I just chuckled at the CWOP thing- I do that when I'm feeling particularly southwestern (i.e. when I'm around those who hail from somewhere north of Brizzle) xxx

      Delete
  9. Oh you sweet thing! I'm so glad you like the fudge and that it helped cheer you up a little. I hope you are feeling a little more calm after baking, it always help me work out my stresses too. I hope some good luck is coming your way soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing- thank you so much for the recipe! It really did cheer me up, baking is definitely my happy place! Thank you so much :) xx

      Delete
  10. I LOVE you gold sparkly shoes! I hope you find your permanent smile again soon. If it helps I think you and your blog are awesome xx

    Biancasinwonderland.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I wear them at EVERY opportunity! Thank you, that's such a sweet thing to say. xx

      Delete
  11. I hate feeling like that! Last night I cried just because I was tired. Who does that?!
    I hope you're feeling a little better now. Your shoes are wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do this too. ALL THE TIME. Thanks lovely, feeling much better now. Hope you feel better soon too!! x

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog