Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Drake's Trail


In our family, Easter Sunday is a day for a big roast, lots of chocolate, and a bit of a walk.

This year, however, my brother and grandad decided that it was a much better idea to go to the pub, so it was just the ladies who did the walking- mum, grandma, me, and my brother's girlfriend A (as in, her name starts with A. He doesn't have a girlfriend B). 
This is fairly standard behaviour in the CupandSaucer household- on Christmas Day, a tradition has formed that after presents, the men toddle off to the pub while the ladies stay and make lunch. Needless to say, this isn't vastly popular with my mum and she's trying hard to stamp it out.

But anyway. Back to Easter Sunday.

As my grandma is getting older (she's marvellous for her age, but...), we decided our best bet would be to walk along a path, rather than up on the moors. So we decided to potter along a section of the Drake's Trail.

The Drake's Trail is named, unsurprisingly, after Sir Francis Drake (of Spanish Armada fame, for you non-history nerds out there- you know, bowling on Plymouth Hoe, finished his game and then went and fought them?), who is a bit of a local hero, as he was born in Tavistock. The trail is really a cycle path, which runs from Plymouth to Tavistock, meaning it's good underfoot so a nice one for older people and those with buggies alike.

The trail follows a stretch where a railway used to run, and we wandered from Horrabridge as far as the new Gem Bridge, which has been constructed where the railway bridge used to be, and back again. It was really lovely actually, even if mum and I baffled several passers by by skipping along arm in arm, much to Grandma and A's amusement.


A and I powered ahead...

One of these trees was creaking ominously- we moved on pretty sharpish.

Doing my best "tree about to fall over" impression. Don't judge the outfit, it was bloody freezing.

We saw a man laying a trail for local hashers. My grandma wanted to rub it out (she's a bit of a so and so when she wants to be)





Why is it still so bleak!? It is meant to be Spring, right!?





This walk is an engineer's dream- bridges, viaducts...

The Gem Bridge! It's pretty high, not going to lie...


 I spotted a kingfisher from up there though-  just a bright blue flash.
You are not a true county person unless you can walk across a cattle grid with ease. Sorry.


What did you get up to on Easter Sunday?

13 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely Sunday, I'd definitely chose to go on the walk but I'm pretty sure my fiance would chose the pub... I know what you mean about it being bleak! Although the sun seems to have appeared this morning, I hope it stays! My Easter was spent at my mums with lots of visiting family and everyone trying to make sure my Aunt didn't spill red wine in on my mum's new white rug, we succeeded!

    Lauren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah it's definitely a boy/ girl thing! I know, I loved the little bit of sunshine we had today- I was even able to sit outside at lunch time! Thank you SO MUCH for the Leibster Award nomination- means the world to me! But as I've only recently posted on it, I may not take part this time if that's ok? xx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos, and it sounds like you had a wonderful holiday! And don't worry....it's nothing like spring here in America either, at least not where I'm at.
    Thanks for sharing the photos!
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely! Today showed a few more signs of spring- the sun actually showed his face for once, which is a small miracle!! xx

      Delete
  3. I've nominated you for an award over on my blog :)
    http://mylifeinanenglishcottage.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/liebster-award-2-and-3.html

    Lauren x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I CAN WALK ACROSS A CATTLE GRID. I look graceful doing it too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expected nothing less of you Leona! As do I- though I do find it funny when people try and have to cling on to the edges- it's really not that hard! xx

      Delete
  5. I love your falling tree position, maybe you can make it into the latest yoga pose? We used to do family walks all the time but we just haven't really for a while which is a shame. I used to go to Devon to Barnstaple to visit friends a bit, it's fields everywhere! I'm afraid I have never walked across a cattle grid therefore I have disgraced myself as any sort of country person, I'm sorry. Looks like you all had a lovely time though x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally should. It, er, stretches your sides!? It is lovely how much open countryside I have around me- I really missed it when I lived in a city for uni! Hahaha not a disgrace, but just something you need to rectify IMMEDIATELY. Just don't get your feet stuck. xx

      Delete
  6. I loveee this! I miss home now :p
    Cattle grid fact is true haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww sorry lovely! It SO is- how could you possibly claim to be from the country if you can't do such a necessary thing?! x

      Delete
  7. What's a hasher? Am I being a big fat ignoramus there? I love your boots by the way! I can walk across cattle grid just fine, because I have big old man feet :P

    Jen | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hashers are also known as Hash House Harriers- they're runners, who follow a trail which one of them sets then go to the pub afterwards ahah! Thank you, they're from Topshop! And glad to hear it, you can therefore join the country club :P xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog