Thursday, 28 March 2013

When Was The Last Time I Actually Bought Clothes?!

I  think the title says it all really.

I  honestly can't remember the last time I bought clothes that weren't for work.

In some ways, this is a good thing- my bank balance is pretty pleased with this, and in fairness, I do have a LOT of clothes. But I tend to wear the same things over and over and over.

But the thing is, this isn't for want of trying. I went shopping on Saturday and came home empty handed save for a very expensive lingerie set. Hmm. 

Plymouth is not a great city for shopping. They closed down Zara for god's sake. (I nearly cried when I realised. I love Zara!) 

But to be honest, even browsing online isn't that much fun, because all of the clothes are things I WOULD NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS BUY OR WEAR. (Cheers Bella for making me realise I hadn't make that quite clear enough for skim readers!!!)

For example:


TopshopRiver IslandASOS/ WhistlesNew Look
Who is even buying this stuff?! 
(Admittedly I did pick some of the worst things I saw but they are relatively representative of what's about at the moment)

I don't really have a "personal style" (aside from wearing stripes as often as I can). But I do know what I like, and what I don't like, and the stuff that's in the shops at the moment is not what I want to be wearing.

I think part of the problem is the dichotomy between the weather retailers expect and the weather we actually have, but even still- if the weather was gorgeous, I still wouldn't be wearing half the stuff in the shops at the moment. It just isn't me.

So if anyone wants to suggest places I might be able to find nice, reasonably priced clothes which don't make me look like an idiot or an old woman, I'd be very grateful.

(that said, I probably will buy this quite soon)

13 comments:

  1. Hahaha I hadn't read everything at first, and scrolled and saw those photos and thought oh my god no! she loves those clothes!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ABSOLUTELY NOT. I am now going to edit this post to put "WOULD NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS WEAR" in big bold letters!!!!! xx

      Delete
  2. I know how you feel doll. Clothes shopping is the pitts xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is AWFUL. And I normally love shopping. Why does everywhere think we want to dress like that!? Grrrrr. xxx

      Delete
  3. I do wonder this sometimes :) I always like a good search in H&M and normally cheap things pop up in there :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H&M sometimes can be good actually- but then some of it just feels so cheap! Gah, clearly I'm so fussy! xx

      Delete
  4. I love that dress with the pockets. I was just looking at my closet the other day thinking I seriously need to go shopping for Spring.

    Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    Enter our iPad and Lilly Pulitzer iPad Case Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of all of the items I picked I think that is the least evil (I am a sucker for pockets on dresses, after all) but even still- not convinced it would look that good on!!! x

      Delete
  5. So glad it's not just me, I've been struggling to buy stuff lately, I keep nearly being sucked into buying things just because they look vaguely less hideous than other things on the shelves. It's making shopping quite a distressing experience.
    Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I know. I just don't get it AT ALL. What's wrong with making clothes that people actually look good in?! x

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog