Tuesday, 5 March 2013

What to do if... You're in a car accident

If you follow me on Twitter (@cupsaucerblog), you might have noticed yesterday that I was in a car accident. 

I'm totally fine- I was very fortunate to be OK, as my tiny car was hit by a lorry- but it was definitely NOT the start to my week that I wanted!

Image from here
Honestly though, I have never been more scared in my life. I had literally no idea what to do, and so I thought I'd scribble this out (mostly while I was waiting for the recovery people to come and get me!) in the hope that if any of you end up in the same situation (and I hope to god that you don't), you might have a bit of an idea of what to do. This obviously only applies if you're not injured- I was fortunate enough to be completely fine. If you or anyone else near you is injured, call 999 straight away.

The first thing to remember is DO NOT PANIC. I sat there, screamed, and burst into tears- not the most helpful reaction. But really, the first thing you actually need to do is to make yourself safe. Get out of the car, preferably onto the side of the road where you can wait- I clambered over the passenger side. Again, don't do any clambering if you think that you've hurt your back/ neck/ legs. Make sure the other driver doesn't drive off too. I took a picture of the registration plate, just in case. 

Once you're out of the car, go have a chat to the other driver. NEVER say "it was my fault" because they can use that against you (as you're admitting liability), but don't be rude about it. Chances are, they'll be just as shaken up by the whole thing as you are- and probably (hopefully!) have no more experience with crashes than you do. You need to swap details with them- this is really important. The information you need is their registration plate, name, their contact number, address and postcode, and possibly their insurance provider. If there are any independent witnesses (i.e. not your friends/ family), grab their name and number too, in case anything gets disputed.

Remember not to cry!!

Next, phone the RAC or the AA or whatever breakdown service you have. Now I was really angry to learn that my cover didn't include accident recovery, and I had to fork out £200 to be rescued- so be prepared for this, and at any rate, you may be able to claim this back on your insurance. I also had to wait for 45 minutes, despite being a girl, alone after an accident, clearly upset, and on a busy road at rush hour. Yeah. But use this waiting time to take pictures of any damage- we all have smartphones, make use of them!!!

Image from here. Other breakdown services are available, I am in no way affiliated to the RAC!

Then you'll need to phone your insurance company. If you have your insurance details and all the above information, this should be straightforward. Just try to remember absolutely everything you can about the accident, because you will probably have to repeat it a LOT!! 

And that's pretty much it! Your insurance company should sort everything out after this for you. Go and make yourself a big cup of tea, because after that, you really deserve it!


Like I said, I really hope you never have to use this, but if you do, I hope this helps!!

How is your week so far? Hopefully a little less stressful than mine!

14 comments:

  1. It's worth checking your bank account to see if you have breakdown cover. Some people begrudge paying for a bank account buti think £12 a month for breakdown cover, travel insurance (worldwide) and mobile phone insurance is a pretty good deal! I'd advise people to see if they can upgrade - both my and my boyfriend have used all three at some point in the last 2 years - and you barely miss it - and if you compare it to paying £200 up front like you had to it works out better :)

    So sorry to hear about your accident Hun! Hope your ok! It really is a frightening experience - I say in the car hands clamped to the steering wheel foot on the brak in three lanes of traffic! The guy who hit me had to come open my car door to get me out if this weird trance I was in and encourage me to move! (All on Xmas eve whilst on work business! Not good!) I hope the damage isn't too bad!

    Jenni xx


    Bows Bangles & Bakes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have breakdown cover- we pay for it using tesco vouchers!- it just didn't cover accident recovery! Silly thing. But you're right, it's definitely worth checking it out!
      Oh gosh that sounds incredibly stressful!! The other driver had to come open my door and encourage me out too- all I could think was "if the police pull you over you're supposed to stay in the car... is this the same!?"- obviously NOT! xx

      Delete
  2. Glad you hear you're ok and you sound like you had a pretty calm head on throughout it all. I really don't think I would of been like that but I guess I'll never know until it happens to me. My week is going ok, nothing but the school rush stress, the joys of children, at least they area great excuse to watch the disney films at the cinema.

    Rhiannon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't know about that- I was in floods of tears until the recovery driver came to get me! Ahh school rush stress- that can't be much fun! But yeah, I'd love a brilliant excuse to watch disney films at the cinema- that said, I tend to just go anyway!!! x

      Delete
  3. Pleased to hear that you are doing ok this post is helpful - I wouldn't have a clue what to do! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely :) I'm pleased you found it helpful- I thought it would be nice if something good came out of the situation! x

      Delete
  4. so glad that you're ok. i was almost hit by a car once and it really made me feel like my heart about to jump out of my body.
    and yes, a cup of tea or coffee really hepls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It was such a scary experience, I'm glad you weren't actually hit!! x

      Delete
  5. Oh no! Alice! I am glad you are okay! This is horrible. I hope you aren't too shaken up and the damage isn't that bad. A very helpful post though, I feel I would react like your instincts if I had been in your situation!

    E x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you lovely. No, I'm ok now- had to drive again the day after so getting right back on the horse- and fingers crossed the damage is fixable.
      Thanks, I'm pleased you found it helpful- but fingers crossed you never need to know what to do!!!! xx

      Delete
  6. Oh no! Hope everything is much better now. Sounds like a horrible day. :( Btw the cup looks cute! Love the polka dots :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All so much better thanks :) Thank you, it's from Waitrose- it was only £4- and holds an AMAZING amount of tea!! x

      Delete
  7. Hope you're doing okay now, and the insurance gits don't rob you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeeeah I'm doing fine thanks :) Insurance gits are actually being good- they're all like "No, you clearly have absolutely no liability for this, so it'll all be ok". Fingers crossed they're actually telling the truth for once! (Oh, I'm so naive....) xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog