Sunday, 24 March 2013

Weekend Playlist, Take 2

Given that my first Weekend Playlist was way back here, clearly this isn't going to be a regular thing. But never mind,  it's the thought that counts, right?!

I don't know about you, but this seriously LONG winter is now just getting a little bit ridiculous. Seriously, it's the end of March and there is STILL snow! I know there's been snow in June some years (please god not this year!) but come of Nature, get your act together?! It's making me miserable. And everyone else I've spoken to seems to feel the same.

And the fact that it's approaching the end of uni, and exams and deadlines are looming (not for me, but for a lot of you)  probably isn't helping matters. For one thing, it probably means you can't even play in the snow.

So I thought for this weekend playlist, I'd give you some of my favourite pieces of classical music which always serve to calm me down or just make me feel a bit better. They also make a cracking revision playlist, if you find classical music helps with that.

Jurassic Park Theme- John Williams


Like John Williams, my brother is a musical genius- he's one of those annoying people who can hear a piece of music, sit down at the piano, and work it out properly. Needless to say, he's worked this one out, and it is amazing. The original is pretty good too- my favourite bit is around the 50 second mark.

Clair de Lune- Debussy


I'm sure this one is on a lot of people's calming playlists already, but I had to include it because who doesn't love a bit of Debussy?! Girl with the Flaxen Hair is also amazing.
(I've also included this because it's one I can play and musical-genius doesn't/ can't/ won't)

Time- Hans Zimmer


My ex and I once got into an argument with a guy I knew at uni who tried to tell us that Hans Zimmer was rubbish. We played him this- come on, who can't accept that this is incredible?! 

Etude No. 3 in E Major (Tristesse)- Chopin


Have you ever seen Genova? I'm guessing it's unlikely as it was an arts-centre release, but honestly, it's amazing. One of the characters learns this piece during the film, and I had to sit and watch the credits the whole way through to try to find out what it was- and it's been firmly on my "calm" playlist ever since.

Rue's Farewell- James Newton Howard


Because it makes me cry. Which I'm guessing isn't what you want in the middle of the library (though I did a LOT of that last year- you could probably find me sobbing in the library at least once a week) but this is good anyways.

I Giorni- Ludovico Einaudi


This is just so beautiful. A friend without exams gave a group of us care packages last Spring, which included CDs with lots of calming music on- including this. It worked.


So there we have it! Trust me, these pieces work well- I find that if I whack some classical music on, time passes a lot quicker anyway, and I don't find myself singing along to Taylor Swift in the middle of the silent section.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog