Wednesday, 27 March 2013

The Leibster Award

I don't really tend to win things.

Wait, you want me to answer questions about myself?!
I know you don't win a Liebster Award, but bear with me.

One time, in Year Three, I was the only person in my class of 30 who didn't come first, second, or third in a race at sports day. I was given stickers just for taking part. Which was kind of sad, when you think about it, but all of the other kids were jealous. I did much better at the swimming gala, but I've never really forgotten the pity prize. So whenever the word "prize" or "award" gets mentioned, I pull out the story to get the sympathy vote.

But as we said, you don't win this. Just get nominated for it. And the lovely Beeta from Fill My Little World nominated this little blog, bless her!!

So as I'm sure you're all aware, there are a few rules to the Liebster Award. 
(By the way, who is Mr/ Ms Liebster? Or where does the name come from? Any ideas?)

But in case you don't, they are as follows:
- Post 11 things about yourself
- Answer the questions that the nominator set for you 
-Set 11 more questions for the blogs you nominate
- Nominate some other blogs, which must have less than 200 followers.
- Repeat ad nauseam 

So here we go... here are 11 things you probably didn't want to know about me anyway:

1. I have a mildly ridiculous family- in age order: older half sister, older full brother, me, younger full brother, oldest nephew, middle nephew, little half sister, youngest nephew. But I wouldn't change it for the world.

2. I read French far better than I can speak it. This is predominantly a confidence issue.

3. I quite frequently forget what I'm doing half way through doing it. For example, I had a totally different no. 3 in my head and now I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

4. I have only ever been in two proper relationships. Both were long distance. I'm sure a psychotherapist would go nuts over this.

5. I have been in counselling three times for self harm and suicidal tendencies. I do not believe that it works- I got past it completely by myself after a very long time. (I appreciate that this may be contentious, this is a purely personal opinion from my purely personal experience. I actually really hope it works for you). 
(Writing that down was really quite hard. It's a very personal thing, but if you have questions, or are going through something similar and would like to talk, please feel free to email me)

6. My first pet was a goldfish named Rebecca.

7. My most played song on iTunes is Carly Rae Jepson's Call Me Maybe, and I'm not ashamed of this at all. 

8. Breakfast is by far my favourite meal of the day. 

9. I will often start doing star jumps randomly in front of the TV. This works particularly well if you're feeling really full, by the way.

10. I play the piano, and managed to pass up to Grade 6 (the point at which I got bored of exams) without being able to sight read.

11. I hate white chocolate, other than in chocolate chunk cookies/ muffins.

I felt like we needed a picture. From a trip to North Wales in 2008.

My god this is going to be a long post. My apologies!! And now for my answers to Beeta's questions:

1. Which three things would you rescue from your burning house? Sans doute, all three items would be jewellery. Earrings which used to belong to my nanna, a pearl necklace which used to belong to my great grandmother, and her engagement ring, which I also own. And my phone (Shhh I know that's four)

2. What kind of music do you like? Literally everything. But I predominantly listen to folky/ country-ish/ acoustic-y stuff. Think Ben Howard, Taylor Swift, The Avett Brothers, Mumford and Sons, James Vincent McMorrow, and Coldplay.

3. What would you do with £1 million? I would buy a new car for myself, and for mum, and pay off her mortgage. Buy myself a house, and a holiday somewhere incredible, and that'd be it!

4. Where is your favourite place and why? I have two: Guernsey, and Cardiff, because I have phenomenal memories in both of those places. And this incredibly beautiful video should go some way to explaining my love for the former.

5. Do you know any languages other than English? As I mentioned above, I speak French very well. I also know some Italian, and can say "My name is Alice" in English, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Dutch and Swahilli.

6. Would you rather have the arms of an octopus or the pincers of a crab? Oooh probably octopus arms. 

7. Feminism still has a place in society. Discuss. I agree, it does, it just takes a wider variety of forms than it did originally. 

8. Do you have a life motto? To be completely honest, no. I could lie and say "yeah, it's this!" but I really won't. However, I do appreciate the following quote, the source for which I have totally lost. Help a girl out and let me know?!


9. Where have you had your best meal? Umm The Braye Beach Hotel in Alderney was pretty damn good as an overall meal! But the most memorable was in Spain, watching the sun set over the sea. Lovely stuff.

10. What are your main hobbies? Umm baking, blogging, piano playing, reading. In no particular order.

11. Who do you admire and why? I admire anyone who knows what they want to do with their life. Anyone who is strong in the face of adversity. Anyone who faces challenges, overcomes them, and doesn't bang on about it at every opportunity- we all face shit, we all get over it. My mum. Myself, actually.

Wow. That's a lot of information to take in.

And here are my questions for the following lovely ladies: RhiannonLeonaMegFrankySophieSarahJenGeorgiaSuziLauraMaxine (I think that's her name?! So sorry if I'm wrong!!!)

1. What did you want to be when you were growing up?
2. What is your signature dish?
3. What is your biggest regret?
4. Who is your favourite fictional character (book/ film/ TV) and why?
5. Who are your dream dinner party guests?
6. Which would you rather do- skydive or bungee jump? Why?
7. If you could only eat fruit OR vegetables for the rest of your life, which would you pick?
8. Where is at the top of your to-visit list?
9. Which do you prefer- being too hot, or being too cold?
10. Do you believe in fate?
11. What is your favourite treat?

PHEW. Congratulations if you made it to the end of this. I'm not sure I would have. Obviously if I haven't tagged you and you want to play, GO AHEAD!! Make sure you leave me a comment with your link in it too!

26 comments:

  1. Thank you so much missus! I'll answer all your questions when I come home tonight

    Rhiannon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome lovely! Yay let me know when your post is up! :) x

      Delete
  2. wowza! thanks for the nom :) I am literally the worst at writing fun facts about me, but I will give it a go (it may take a while though)

    Suzi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Suzi, I love your blog! I just wrote whatever popped into my head- I wouldn't say mine are all that fun! But when/ if you do get around to it, let me know! :) x

      Delete
  3. I love these things, probably because I'm so nosy - but I just really like getting to see all the things people write!
    Holy lord the number of languages there. Even if you can only say one thing, that's amazing!!
    And I'm glad to hear that you got through what you were dealing with; regardless of how you did it, I don't think it's pretentious to say that you did it on your own. I appreciate how hard that must have been to share, so thank you for doing it.
    Congratulations on winning this award!!
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also forgot British Sign Language- I did a course last year at uni haha. I love languages!! Thank you lovely, that's a really sweet thing to say- makes me feel a bit better about sharing it! xx

      Delete
  4. Aw, thank you for nominating me! I'll definitely give it a go myself tonight :)
    I think the name comes from the German for 'beloved' or 'sweetest' :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, please do!! Let me know when it's up :) Oh that's such a lovely reason for the name, thanks for that! :) xx

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the nomination :) I'll let you know when my response is up :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Georgia!! Awesome, please do! :) xx

      Delete
  6. Yay I'm so pleased you took part :) and you have identical hobbies and music taste as I do which is cool :) x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you nominated me, thank you!! Haha do I really? Well they do say great minds think alike...! :) xx

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for the shout-out Alice! I'm hoping to sit down and write the post tomorrow so will let you know when it's posted! I really enjoy your blog too by the way, your food looks divine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Ah please do, I love reading these sorts of posts haha! Thank you, that's a really kind thing to say! :) x

      Delete
  8. Congrats on not winning but being nominated for the award. ;-) It's always so much fun to read more about bloggers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha thank you, I do get overexcited about these things. It really is, like you're getting to know them properly and stuff!! x

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. You're welcome, I'd love to see your answers if you get chance to play along :) x

      Delete
  10. Liebster comes from the German word with means 'beloved'. Cute, isn't it? :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. My response is up :) sorry it took so long! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok lovely, it was worth the wait :) x

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog