Sunday, 10 March 2013

Tavistock

I went to school in Tavistock, a little town on the edge of Dartmoor.

It's the nearest town to where I actually live, and is a seriously cute market town. According to the God of All Wisdom (wikipedia), it can trace its origins back to 961AD when the Abbey was established. It's also where Sir Francis Drake is from (he was actually born about 400m from where my school was)

So after my haircut, I decided to go into town for a little potter. It's got some lovely little shops (albeit  some of them are a little touristy), and I thought I'd snap a few pictures for you to see. 

Be warned- the weather was typically grey and miserable, so this really isn't Tavistock at its best. Then again, this is a pretty accurate representation of the town, as I can count on one hand the number of sunny days we've had in the past twelve months.


 First up, the Bedford Hotel. Home to amazing cream teas, and host to probably 90% of the weddings in this tiny town. Seriously, the church is right across the road (and is called St Eustachius. I've lived here for 20 years and I still have no idea how to actually say that)



The Town Hall. Host to the other 10% of weddings and various other functions. I used to waitress for functions here when I was at school- I was a terrible waitress, I dropped something nearly every time.


Through this archway is the police station. There's also a disused magistrates court, which is incredible inside (I have seen it as an A-Level law student NOT as an accused criminal)- it's a scaled down version of the Old Bailey.


The Pannier Market. Tavistock was given a Market Charter in 1105, making it one of the oldest market towns in the country. Apologies for the pigeons.


Inside the market building. When I was five, I performed in a dance thingamejiggy here, and danced with the Mayoress of Tavistock. I had no idea who she was, and probably stood on her foot. There are some pretty cool stalls in the market though- as seen below:


I was so tempted to buy this.

Behind the market, there are some more good shops. I bloody love the cheese shop, they let you try everything.


In the town's health food shop. I LOVE Teapigs tea, expect a review shortly.

Crebers is probably the most famous shop in the town- it's an amazing deli, stuffed with lots of yummy local products, and smells of amazing coffee, which they sell in big jars. I would have taken lots of pictures inside, but the sales assistants were giving me weird looks.


I had to get a picture of this. I was seriously tempted to just run away with the whole thing.


Odds & Suds was voted as one of Vogue's Top 100 shops outside of London- and looking inside, you can see why. The soaps and things are just beautiful. But sadly, slightly too pricey for me to buy for the sake of it. 

Inside Odds & Suds. See, so pretty!
Tavistock is also home to all your typical English town things- butchers, bakers, candlestickmakers (not really), and greengrocers. It's lovely that they are all able to carry on trading, despite the recession.


So that's Tavistock! I probably could have taken better pictures, but I was just happy snapping really. 

Where do you live? Are you near a little market town?

14 comments:

  1. This looks so quaint!! Really enjoyed reading it and fancy booking myself a little mini break down there to go get some free cheese! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quaint is a great word to describe Tavistock! Thanks lovely- though just buying cheese may be cheaper than a minibreak for free cheese haha!!! xx

      Delete
  2. it does look like a nice town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is lovely- so nice having it right on the doorstep!

      Delete
  3. It's such a beautiful town! (I may be biased...I love little market towns).
    I go to college in a town like that...although, mine isn't nearly as cute. But it's full of little shops and restaurants and bars, and the like.
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See now the thing Tavistock is missing is good bars. I mean, there are a couple of pubs, but they tend to be filled with underage kids, and it's just kind of annoying. We tend to have to go elsewhere for a nice drink! x

      Delete
  4. Tavistock looks lovely - it's amazing how many nice places there are right on our doorsteps. I live near a few market towns and your post has inspired me to pay some of them a visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- my mum is always saying that it's such a shame people go so far to find nice places, when there are so many lovely ones right on people's doorsteps! You should, market towns have such charm :) x

      Delete
  5. such a lovely place to live near!! I live near a market, but it's nowhere near to this beauty! xxx
    Alice Barton ♥ TheMowWay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely- I always particularly appreciated it when I came home from uni (I went to uni in a city, so it made a nice change!) x

      Delete
  6. Nice photos! I live in California by the beach, very different from your town... I just came across your blog and I'm your newest follower :) Would you mind checking out our blog & if you like, following back via GFC and Bloglovin'? Looking forward to your next post! xx

    sixthtractate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'd love to live nearer a beach- or just somewhere warmer than it is here today!! x

      Delete
  7. Lovely. www.adoramehitabel.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog