Friday, 29 March 2013

Re-Educating Myself

On Wednesday, I went down into deepest darkest Cornwall to meet up with AR and AC, two friends from university. One lives down that way, one was just visiting.

We had decided to cycle The Camel Trail from Wadebridge to Padstow, despite the fact that Mother Nature had decided snow drizzle at the end of March was a cracking idea, and a few of AR's friends from school joined us.

(Expect a full post on the Camel Trail soon)

So we pootled on down to Padstow, had a nice potter around, and grabbed some lunch at The Old Custom House (big fat burger for me, and it was delicious- I decided our cycle ride meant that I'd earned it).

But over lunch, and throughout the day, in fact, we had a couple of really interesting conversations. Like actual, almost intellecutal conversations, including some chatter on climate change, and a pretty friendly debate over religion for goodness sake- and they say there are three things you should never discuss: money, politics, and religion.

It was brilliant. It made me realise how much I have missed having conversations where you learn something. At the moment, a lot of my conversations involve little anecdotes, chatter about last night's TV, or other waffle. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with this. I LOVE these sorts of conversations. 


Image from here

But at the same time, I adore learning new things- I found reading both of my brothers' dissertations so interesting, even though one was on the effect of music on performance in sport, and the other was on structural analysis, and I'm an historian. I love finding out people's points of view on a topic, and having a little discussion with them about it. And I feel that recently, I haven't been learning enough, particularly about things outside of my comfort zone. So I have decided I'm  going to.

I may not stray as far as taking one of Harvard or Stanford's free online courses (but what a fantastic idea!) but I will be making more of an effort to read interesting articles, learn about things I don't know, and possibly even dip into a bit of Steven Hawkins, as my brother has a copy of A Brief History of Time


This is the St Deniol's Library in Wales. OH MY GOD. Image from here

And if I find myself in a library like this in the process, then I will be very happy.

Sorry if you find yourself dragged into a conversation with me over the next few weeks.

6 comments:

  1. I love Padstow! I've only been once but it was a gorgeous place.
    I don't get to have too many meaty conversations these days, again much of what I end up chatting about is silly, insignificant stuff (which, granted, I do enjoy talking about!) but sometimes I do need conversations with a bit more meaning to remind myself that yes, I do in fact have a brain.
    Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is incredible- honestly one of my favourite places ever. Exactly- I really liked remembering that I had a brain and I have decided that I want to use it more!!

      Delete
  2. I don't think there's anything better than a really good conversation with friends coupled with something excellent to eat!

    Kate :)
    Just Pirouette and Carry On...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, so true- it's one of the best things ever! x

      Delete
  3. I think that's why I've always loved being in school - the grading and tests drive me crazy sometimes, but I love learning new things! I'm glad you're getting excited about some new stuff, and I can't wait to hear about what you learn :)
    Alsom seriously? Harvard and Stanford offer free online courses? Why didn't I know this...?
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that part of this is missing being in education- I think once you leave it's too easy to just let your brain turn to mush! I KNOW- someone at work mentioned those courses and I was like WHAT?! They are such a good idea! x

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog