Friday, 22 March 2013

Rain and Tiffin

Why is it that we are led to believe that the rain is romantic?

For example:

From here

From here
When I get caught in the rain, it is not romantic. I mostly look grumpy. 

That said, one of my favourite memories from 2011 was running home in the rain, with a boy I was just getting to know and one of my closest friends, screaming with laughter and kicking puddles at each other.

That does not mean I didn't look like a drowned rat though.

This weather is DISGUSTING. I heard on the radio that in some parts of the country, this time last year it was TWENTY DEGREES CENTIGRADE warmer. That is utterly ridiculous.

Anyway, last night I decided to ignore the fact that the weather is stupid and bake something.

Obviously- we all know that this is what I do when I'm unhappy.
(That said, when I was in the deepest depths of depression five years ago, I was too sad to bake- this is how my family knew something was deeply deeply wrong. But that's a story for another day)

Tiffin technically isn't baking, more making, but it's delicious and amazing and will make any boy love you- seriously forget Blueberry Boy Bait, tiffin is the way forward, and the way to any man's heart. It's also so easy you could do it with your eyes closed, and kids love helping with this- perfect for the Easter holidays if you have littlies around.

Once again, this is one of my mum's recipes, so it's in ounces. Sorry!

You will need:
5oz butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
2 tbsp cocoa powder
16oz biscuits 
(I always use a mixture that includes ginger nuts and digestives, but honestly whatever you have will work wonders)
Couple handfuls sultanas/ other dried fruit (optional)
300g milk chocolate (though if you prefer dark, that works amazingly too)

In a large pan, melt together the butter, golden syrup and cocoa powder. While it's melting, crush up the biscuits but not completely- you don't want all tiny crumbs, you want some bigger chunks too. I put them all in a bowl and attack them with the end of a rolling pin, but a wine bottle works well too. Then chuck in a couple of handfuls of sultanas or whatever if you want. You could also add mini marshmallows if you wanted to make this more of a Rocky Road, but I actually never have. Maybe I will soon though.

When your syrup/ butter/ cocoa has all melted together, pour your biscuits etc into the pan and stir until it's all combined. It may look like there isn't enough chocolate mix but there will be. Then tip it all into a baking tray lined with tin foil or baking paper, press down really firmly (or it'll all fall apart when you cut it up), and pop it into the fridge for a while.

Then melt your chocolate- either in a bain marie or in the microwave- and then spread it all over the top of the tiffin. If you want a thicker layer of chocolate, just melt more (it isn't rocket science). Put back in the fridge to set for a few hours.

When it's all properly set, chop into pieces and try not to eat it all at once.




This is the perfect remedy for a rainy day when accompanied by any hot drink.

12 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, must try it. Nom.

    teapartywithalice.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should, but be warned- they are addictive. x

      Delete
  2. sometime it is romantic...not always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha no, not at the moment when it's been constant for 48 hours!!! x

      Delete
  3. OMG. These look delicious!! But what is golden syrup?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are pretty yummy. Golden syrup is a British thing- the best brand to use is Lyle's, if you can get hold of it, but a quick google search tells me that a combination of light and dark corn syrups might work!? But golden syrup does have a distinctive taste, so try to use that if you can!! xx

      Delete
  4. Haha - this is SO true! Movies always make rain look so glamorous. While it's fun if you're carefree and running around in it, I agree with you, I always end up looking like a drowned rat. ;)
    Isn’t That Charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup- rain isn't romantic in the slightest, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun!! x

      Delete
  5. yummmm, I definitely agree -chocolate on a rainy day is always a good idea!!

    I live in London and run a lifestyle blog - maybe you'll like mine too?

    www.cityhabit.blogspot.co.uk

    With love, georgie Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate on ANY day is always a good idea!!! x

      Delete
  6. If I'm in the rain it's usually from riding my bike lol.

    ~Randall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See if it's raining I try to avoid going out and doing anything remotely resembling exercise. Kudos to you!!!

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog