Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Nobody Puts Baby Where...?!

I have a confession for you all.

I am not a film buff in the slightest.

Image from here
I know this may come as shock (HA, as if. If you're shocked, I don't know where you got the impression that I was a film buff from,but it certainly wasn't from me), but it's true.

I haven't seen pretty much anything which is considered as a "must see". And by this I mean I haven't seen Skyfall (or any other than the most recent three Bond films), Pulp Fiction, The Godfather, and so on, and I can barely remember which way around the letters in IMDB go.

I HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN DIRTY DANCING.

Image from IMDB

Now before you all start unfollowing and telling me I'm not a real woman (this is the response I had once, yes), let me redeem myself slightly by saying that I have seen The Shawshank Redemption, Grease, and The Notebook (but I didn't cry).

It's just... I don't have the patience to watch films! Certainly not at home. I'd much rather be doing something else (read: baking), and if I do sit down to watch a film one of three things happens. 1) I fall asleep 2) I get distracted and wander off 3) I only half watch whilst doing something else (reading, blogging, online shopping...). And when it comes to seeing things in the cinema, people tend to go without me. Not in like a malicious way, I just forget to ask people to go see something with me, so they go with other people as most of my friends/ family know I'm not that into films.

But I think I've decided that this needs to be rectified.

Image from here
In my first year of university, two of my guy friends made me a list of films I had to see. We got as far as the Back to the Future films (loved) and Indiana Jones (hated) and it sort of tailed off.

But I want a new list. So I thought who better to ask than you lovely lot?! I have my fingers crossed that you'll have some suggestions for me, because if nothing else, not having seen "must see" films means I miss a lot of cultural references in things.

So yes. I am asking you to comment with a few must see films- and I mean proper must sees, not Twilight- so in these still ridiculously cold evenings, I can try to watch some of them.

Any ideas!?

12 comments:

  1. WHAT?! I can't comment actually there are some classics that I haven't seen either. Some of my favourites are... Matrix, 500 days of summer, Inception, Avengers Assemble, Iron Man, Thor (there's a comic book theme here), The Dark Knight, Friends with benefits, Easy A, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, The Ugly truth... I think I'll stop now I might of listed a few too many. My other half loves his films so we have a HUGE selection.

    Rhiannon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE 500 Days of Summer! So good. And I have at least seen Inception (because I was made to- and I missed the wobble of the thingame at the end and had to have it explained. Oops). No such thing as listing too many, I asked didn't I ahaha!!! xx

      Delete
  2. I'm in the same boat here. But highly recommend Argo, Lincoln, and I give it a year. Not so much silver linings playbook. Kisses xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was SO keen to watch I Give It A Year and Argo and never got around to them! Why not Silver Linings Playbook, I was thinking of watching it!? Bisous xxx

      Delete
  3. I was the same, so I set about trying to watch all the IMDB top 250 films... slowly getting there and there is such a mix of films that you can't go wrong, there is something for everyone!

    E x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See now that would be a very sensible idea- cheers lovely!! :) xxx

      Delete
  4. DIRTY DANCING IS THE WORST FILM IN THE WORLD, EVER. Seriously, I hate that film so so so much!! I watched it first when I was 13, my sister gave me the video (yeah, video!) because she also hated it and wanted to give it to a free home, so I watched it and hated it. I tried again years later thinking it was just me being a moody 13 year old but no, it was just shit as I had originally thought. I don't know why everyone goes nuts over it! It might be because i've never "swooned" over Patrick Swayze? I would say that you're not missing out on anything though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird, I have never heard anything but positives!! I don't get the Patrick Swayze thing either though, but I think I probably should still give it a watch- that said, it is fun seeing people's reactions when I tell them I haven't seen it...! x

      Delete
  5. I think that like most films you have to like the genre?

    For some great gore, anything by Quentin Tarantino is amazing (Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill vol 1&2, Jackie Brown, Reservoir Dogs, Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained).

    Comic Book Fandom: The Avengers, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, the new Dark Knight Trilogy. Honestly, stay away from the Hulks and Spidermans, they weren't up to snuff. Although, I haven't seen the newest Spiderman, so correct me if I'm wrong.

    Rom-Com: I love these, some good ones are What's Your Number?, The Ugly Truth, Monster-In-Law, anything with Amanda Bynes cuz she's funny, Just Go With It, Letters to Juliet,

    Book to Movie: Perks of Being a Wallflower, Les Miserables, Harry Potter... Have you seen those? haha., To Kill A Mockingbird,

    What I usually do is if I like an actor/actress, I'll IMDB and search out other movies and things that they've done. Also, anything by Audrey Hepburn (specifically her stuff from the 50s).

    Hope this helps! I'm a huge movie watcher... but I also like pretty much everything I watch. It's not likely for me to hate a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh these are some great recommendations, thank you!!! I have seen some of them (including Harry Potter, of course!), but a lot of them are definitely to-be-watched! xx

      Delete
    2. I can't believe that I forgot to mention The Breakfast Club. I think it's the best of the 80s :D

      Delete
    3. Also not seen this so thanks! :) x

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog