Tuesday, 12 March 2013

Imagining...

When I was at my grandparents' house at the weekend, I found myself flicking through the Daily Mail's Saturday Supplement.

Now, I would like to make it quite clear that I am not a regular Daily Mail reader. (No offence to you if you are, I just personally think that it is not the most valuable newspaper out there. And some of the things it writes are hysterical). But I was sans wifi, and was bored of my book, so started to read it. 

At the back of their Weekend magazine, there was an interview with an actor. Really can't remember who he was, but one of the questions they asked him really sparked my interest.

The actor had been asked "How would you spend the day, if money and distance were no issue?"

This really sparked my interest, as, in case you've been living under a rock (or in the Maldives or somewhere else suitably warm and sunny), winter has returned with a vengeance. So I'm quite happy to dream of the places I would go if I had a day to spend with no issues of money, or distance. Distance is particularly interesting to me at the moment, because with an 80+ mile round trip for work every day, I am starting to become seriously cautious about how much I drive outside of this, as filling my (read: the hire) car up is pretty pricey.

So yes, this is how I would spend the day, if money and distance were no issue. (And also my waistline, given that from the looks of this, I'll be eating a LOT)

Sunrise: Fermain Bay, Guernsey



I might have mentioned my love for this little island before, but if not, Guernsey is one of my favourite places on the planet. If you haven't already, read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society- they're making it into a film, I think- to get a sense of its history. Fermain Bay is, as you can see, beautiful, and I would thoroughly recommend the island for a little weekend escape- it honestly is lovely there.
But enough gushing- back to the topic at hand. To start my day, I would watch the sun rise from Fermain Bay. Then...

Breakfast: Paris

OK, so this isn't the best photo ever taken of a patisserie, but I took it so it was easier than finding a link. Soz.
Where else would you breakfast than Paris? I'd nip into une petite patisserie (comme ce-la ci-dessus, presque a Belleville a Paris), pour les croissants, les viennoiseries, et un petit noir... See, it's like I'm already there!! I'd then stay for a little while, pottering around the pretty little streets, and possibly popping up to the top of the Eiffel Tower. Lovely stuff.

Lunch: Fiji

Image from The Londoner
Well, I needed some sunshine, didn't I?! And particularly given that Rose has been posting pictures of her trip to Fiji this week, I have a serious case of the green eyed monster.
Lunchtime, and the best part of the afternoon would be spent lounging on a beach in Fiji, with someone bringing me endless drinks and amazing local food, hopefully freshly caught fish, cooked right in front of me. Yes please. 

Afternoon Tea: The Ritz

Image from here
I would have to pop back to Blightly for a proper afternoon tea. Mama CupandSaucer spent last weekend in London, complete with a trip for tea at The Ritz, and I am seriously jealous. I would therefore be all suited and booted, and feeling seriously special as I sipped on a cup of perfectly made tea, and probably a glass of fizz, accompanied by amazing cakes and pastries.

Supper: New York City!

From my 2008 trip to NYC. I am dying to go back!
Before you make any comment, yes, I refer to my evening meal as supper. No, I am not posh. This is a habit I picked up from my lovely uni friends, and quite like. This did lead to a lot of arguments at uni though- which do you say, tea, dinner, or supper? (Or something else entirely?)
Anyway,  there are too many incredible eating establishments in New York to choose from (and I probably am not aware of even half of them), so I'll leave my supper destination up to your imagination- if you fancy giving me any suggestions, drop me a comment! My trip would also involve some evening shopping (they'd keep the stores open for a celeb like me... HA), and watching the sun go down from the top of the Empire State Building as the city lights up. 

Night: The Arctic Circle

Image from here
By this, I do not mean a return to Britain, even if it does feel like we're in the Arctic Circle right now.
No, I'm thinking going right up North, hopefully to catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights. I've been dying to see them for as long as I remember (probably since I read Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy), and if money and distance are no option, then this is definitely how I would end my day.

Of course, throughout all of this I would be accompanied by my amazing family and incredible friends, and any of you if you'd like to tag along.

How would you spend your day, if money and distance were no issue? There are so many places I had to miss out- I think I'd need a week, not a day.

16 comments:

  1. oh man, if only, right?
    I literally would have no idea where to start, I am just going to dream about it now...
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seriously would be incredible if this were possible. Haha when you've worked it out, let me know!!! x

      Delete
  2. I love this idea! I'm going to have to think of where i'd go now... I haven't really travelled to a lot of places though.

    I'm having a little nose at that book now, I may have to buy it! I love buying books so any book that someone recommends is usually a must buy, it sounds like a magical place :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been fortunate to travel a reasonable amount, but not as much as some people!! But then that's the fun of this- it's imaginary, so you can pick ANYWHERE! :) It is a lovely book, and a lovely lovely island! x

      Delete
  3. Love this post, such a lovely idea. A lot of mine would be like yours! Especially Fiji and New York. Two of my favourite places in the world, Bella xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they do say that great minds think alike...! Hvae you been to Fiji!? Oooh so jealous! x

      Delete
    2. Yes, my best friend and I travelled miles and miles from the capital of Fiji to this godforsaken bridge in the middle of nowhere where eventually we were picked up by this boat from the TEENY island of Caqalai (pronounced Than-ga-lar ??) which comes twice a day at totally random times, and then were taken to the island which only takes 10 minutes to walk around and has one 'resort', if you can call it that, where locals live and work and serve the most wonderful seafood and play volleyball and just relax. It was magical!!! And so untouched by tourism...wowee xx

      Delete
    3. Oh wow, that sounds absolutely incredible!! Seriously lucky girl :) xx

      Delete
  4. Great idea. I would like to be where I am right now: Italy. But I'd like to think up more places. Your list is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's lovely that you're so happy where you are! Italy was actually my back up for lunch- gotta love proper Italian food, and such a beautiful country! x

      Delete
  5. Lovely idea. I've always wanted to go to New York, it just always looks so pretty with so much going on. Tokyo is another place I love to go one day. Right now I'd just like somewhere sunny and warm, getting fed up of the snow and cold

    Rhiannon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I loved it when I was there, but I am dying to go back. Tokyo looks amazing- my brother has been before, and says it's like nowhere else on earth! But yeah, sunny and warm sounds good to me too! :) x

      Delete
  6. What I would do to go to Fiji, that view is incredible x

    http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it beautiful!? Definitely where I'm dreaming of right now! x

      Delete
  7. I think i would cry if i ever made it to Guernsey Island. I tried to research it but it's so expensive to get to! I was going to go to Brittany, France this summer with my family and wanted to take a trip to the island with my mom. we both read the book and are obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would it be that expensive from Spain? Such a shame. You can get the boat (with Condor Ferries) from St Malo in Brittany, so if you do end up there this summer you could definitely do it. Otherwise, cheap flights to London Gatwick or Bristol, and if you book enough in advance, flights with Aurigny (Guernsey's airline)can be really quite reasonable! If you do end up going and would like any tips or anything, do give me a shout- it really is absolutely incredible there! x

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog