Saturday, 30 March 2013

I Am NOT A Bath Person

I don't know when I decided, but I really don't like baths. 

This basically sums up how I feel about baths. From here

I remember in first year of uni, when despite the fact that in halls we all had en-suite bathrooms, a lot of my friends lamented the fact that we couldn't have baths, and longed for reading week and the Christmas holidays when they could go home and luxuriate in a big tub full of bubbles. 
I would keep quiet, thinking "Meh, I'm quite happy with the fact that I can shower three times a day when I'm bored [did anyone else do this in halls, or was it just me and my friends?] and no one yells at me for using all of the hot water."

But now that I have this little blog, and see a lot of posts reviewing bath-y bits and bobs, I thought "You know what, maybe I'll give this bathing malarkey a try again". So yesterday evening, home alone, I decided to run myself a bath.

Maybe I'd enjoy baths more if I had a bathroom like this? From here- apologies, I can't find the original source!

It started badly. Our bath is pretty deep- to the point that after my brother first took a bath in it after we had the bathroom done, he said to me "Alice, you'd better be careful if you have a bath- it's pretty deep, and you're quite little. You might drown."- so therefore takes an age to fill. But no matter, I thought, I had some paperwork to sort out, so did that while the tub filled. I even added some posh bubble bath my old boss gave me for Christmas and left it to do its thing. 

But then I went to check that it wasn't flooding the kitchen below, stuck my hand into the water and realised it was only warm. Sticking my hand below the faucet made me realise that, once again, I had used up all the hot water. But no matter, I thought, it was just about warm enough, so I carried through my laptop for music, an unread copy of Vogue, and a face mask. Which is also unusual for me, as, as I'm sure we've all noticed by now, I am not a beauty blogger and face masks aren't something I do very often.

From here

So on goes the music, on goes the face mask, and I hop into the tub, and lie back. 

About three seconds later, I decide I'm bored. Now I have a terrible habit of dropping things, but despite this, I bring Vogue into the bath with me. Bad move. Copy is now dripping wet and Cara Delevigne has hidden her face under the frame because her nose has gone all blotchy.* So I shave my legs. And then realised I'm bored again.

So I got out. 

I literally lasted all of two songs on my playlist- Amsterdam, by Coldplay, and Noah and the Whale's "First Day of Spring". As Jersey Girl (my favourite song ever) began to play, I hauled myself out of the bath, pulled on my dressing gown, removed the face mask, and returned to my bedroom.

I really don't understand baths. This is more or less exactly what happens every time I attempt to bathe. I feel like Chandler in Friends, when he tries to run a bath by himself and it goes horribly wrongIt will be months before I try that again.

Can someone please explain to me what I'm doing wrong here?! 



*Kudos to you if you got the Harry Potter reference there.

18 comments:

  1. I love baths so much - I don't do all the bubble bath crap as I usually wash my hair etc at the end of it, but to me there's nothing better than sliding into a bath thats slightly too hot and losing myself in a book for half an hour.

    BUT now that I live somewhere rubbish there is no hot water, the bath is the wrong shape, I have to share one with strangers so it needs to be thoroughly scrubbed before I use it and people knock on the door constantly as 9 families share it. It's not fun. The key to a good bath is definitely in environment, temperature and ease of the entire operation. The moment it becomes a hassle I lose all enjoyment and start to dread it.

    I am an advocate of the bath - but only the perfect one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That definitely sounds like a seriously stressful bath- I think even the most ardent bath lover would hate that! I am yet to have the perfect bath- I shall keep trying though (just with long breaks in between...!) x

      Delete
  2. I love baths, I don't mind showers when I'm in a rush but nothing beats being able to just lie back and relax. I don't do the whole bubbles stuff but I don't mind the odd bath bomb here and there. I'm a bugger for taking the laptop or iPad to catch up on things. One day I will break something, I can see it happening. Facemasks have been a life saver to me and a brilliant thing to laugh at for the other half -.- I just want a bath long enough for me to fit in now.

    Rhiannon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely more of a shower person- but that could be just because ours is amazingly powerful. I would NEVER have the confidence to take an electrical item into the bath! But I think that's part of their fun- you can unplug completely! And I definitely do not have the "bath not long enough to fit me" problem...

      Delete
  3. Haha, i hear what you're saying about halls. Showering out of boredom?? I thought it was just me! I think you only miss something when you can't have it. I don't mind baths, but i feel so much more refreshed after a shower!

    bckbld.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was just us!! Yeah, whenever I do brave a bath, I always shower afterwards. Kind of defeats the object! x

      Delete
  4. Whenever I'm stroppy/poorly/bored, Ed always suggests to me that "go for a nice bath". But I am not a bath person!!! I always make it too hot and have to waste time in the nude trying to cool it down because I didn't realise until I scalded my feet getting in. I don't get bored, but I do end up falling asleep then wake up feeling headachey and sick. Not fun. Showers all the way!

    - Tabitha at scaredtoast.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pahaha Tabitha this made me laugh so much! I have never fallen asleep in the bath- knowing me I'd probably slide underwater and wake up choking. Definitely showers all the way!! x

      Delete
  5. Do you need a boat too perhaps?? I just got out of a heavenly bath that was made so all because of the glass of cold wine I enjoyed while my hubby looked after our baby! You've got to just give in to it, it's a time of nothingness and of being still. Bubbles, to bathe in and drink in...maybe that will help....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Meg. If you had a boat it would making the whole bathing experience so much better!

      Delete
    2. Perhaps I do need a boat! Aww see I can imagine if I had littlies a bath would be a good escape, but right now I don't need that! But yeah, maybe wine WOULD help. Hmm.... xx

      Delete
  6. I got the Harry Potter reference! And also! I can't have a bath in our house as we don't have enough hot water. It would just be luke warm and you try and pursude yourself it's nice but it just isn't!!! Hahahha! So I'm a shower girl and wash myself down the plug hole in that thing for hours on end! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wahey, at least somebody did!! That was part of the problem- bathing late in the evening means most of the hot water had gone. Rubbish. But yeah, I could spend hoooours in the shower. I love a shower so long I use up all the hot water! xxx

      Delete
  7. HA this made me laugh out loud. I'm so the same way - I get bored in about 2 seconds! The only cure is a really, really great book :)
    Isn’t That Charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO glad it isn't just me!! I am terrified of taking books I actually like into the bath though, due to the likelihood of them getting a soaking. But I will try again! x

      Delete
  8. Alice. You are a freak. Haha just kidding. My mum hates baths too. I've lived at home for nearly 8 months and she hasn't had one bath in that time so I know it's common, it's just a matter of preference really.

    I love baths. I have three a week (that's all i'm allowed because of the water bill) and it's the only time I get peace to read. I have a Lush bubble bar/bomb in.. some Soap & Glory Calm one Calm all in and I just chill with a facemask on. Bliss! It's like a safe haven!

    Plus I need a bath to rid me of the aches and pains caused by being a full time mother haha

    Amy x cocktailsinteacups.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I was just waiting for someone to say that!! THREE A WEEK!? But yes, I can imagine it is a good escape time from the little one, and is rather soothing- maybe when I have kids I'll be converted!!! xx

      Delete
  9. :O I've never met someone else who doesn't like baths - I hate them so much! I can't stand the feel of my skin on the bath if that makes sense, it really goes through me and makes me feel sick. Just thinking about it makes me shudder!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog