Sunday, 3 March 2013

Feeling Guilty

I have a terrible guilt complex.

I apologise for EVERYTHING. I apologise when someone walks into me, when someone else drops something, when I don't hear what you're saying, when I haven't said anything for longer than five minutes...

My ex once got me to make a "sorry jar". 5p for every unnecessary apology. Let me just say, I gave up pretty quickly because I realised it was going to bankrupt me within a week.




But I really struggle not to feel guilty about things, and I have no idea why

The other weekend, I actually said the words "I feel guilty for not doing any work" when a friend pulled out her uni books. I finished my degree already, I don't have any work to do!!! 

It's basically got to the point where guilt is my reflex reaction. For example:

Last week, I felt guilty for arriving at work half an hour later than normal, even though the traffic meant that I could do nothing about this, and I'd still arrived at an acceptable start time (they're very flexible).

I feel guilty about eating a chocolate bar, even though I'm a perfectly healthy weight and have a good balanced diet, and one chocolate bar isn't going to kill me.

I feel guilty for sharing too much. I feel guilty for not sharing enough.

Worst of all, I feel guilty when I do well. At the moment, I feel guilty for for actually having a job which required me to have a degree, and for actually enjoying that job. Which is utterly ridiculous, but when around me, some of my closest friends are struggling for these things, and I feel almost like I don't deserve them. 

That's a lie. I definitely feel like I don't deserve good things.

But then a part of me is like "Well I worked bloody hard to get to do what I'm doing, and yes there was some luck involved, but I've worked hard, and do work hard, and I should be enjoying this."

And then I feel guilty for thinking like that.

AAHHHHH. Do any of you have this?! Or any ideas of how to stop myself from feeling so guilty all the time? It's exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog