Tuesday, 26 March 2013

Cheese Scones...

Now before I begin, for any Americans who may happen to be reading, these are scones, not biscuits.

Biscuits are what you call cookies. But to me, cookies can only have chocolate chips in them.

OK?

On Sunday afternoon, it got to around 3pm and I realised I hadn't eaten lunch. A quick scout around the kitchen made me realise that the only suitable food items were off limits, because they would all involve bread, which I'm still sort of giving up for Lent (and I didn't think of making an omelette). 

Soup would take too long to make from scratch (and really, that's the only sort of soup worth having) so I thought of the next best thing- cheese scones. Seriously, they take no time at all- I decided I wanted them at 3pm, and was tucking into one at 3:45pm. Not even exaggerating.



Now these are pretty basic cheese scones- at the end you'll find a few variations I only thought of when my poor little plain ones were in the oven, but hey ho.

You will need:

225g self-raising flour
50g salted butter
50g strong cheddar, grated (plus a little extra for sprinkling on top)
150ml milk (whole milk is best but whatever works fine)

Sift the flour into a big bowl. Make sure your butter is really cold, and rub it into the flour, as if you're making pastry. When it's all rubbed in, stir in your grated cheese, and pour your milk in. Stir with a spoon (or your hands if you fancy getting really messy) until it's all combined, then turn out onto a surface sprinkled with a bit more flour. Knead it A LITTLE BIT (if you play with scone mix too much they go all tough and gross), then pat out until it's about 2cm thick. Use a glass (NOT a fluted pastry cutter) to cut out around 8 scones. You'll need to bring it back together at least once, if not twice, and the last scone will probably be just a sort of ball from the last bits of dough.
Brush them with a little milk (I just pour a load into a mug, dip my fingers in and rub it all over the top), then sprinkle your extra cheese on top. Bake at 220C for around 12-15 minutes. They won't rise masses, but that's OK.

The mutant last-bit-of-dough one is always my favourite.

When they've cooled a little (but are still warm from the oven), spread with lots of butter and add more cheese and a little bit of local chutney. Delicious.

These are best the day you make them, but as I learnt yesterday, sitting one wrapped up in cling film on top of the radiator the day after works pretty well too. Or just microwave it for a few seconds.

Sorry about the slightly odd angle- it wouldn't rotate properly!!

Other alternatives would include adding cooked chopped smoked bacon to the mix, or chilli, or sundried tomatoes, or using goats cheese and rosemary instead of the cheddar (this is the one I'm most keen to try).

By the way, when you're making these try really hard NOT to let two Pyrex dishes fall out of the cupboard and smash on the floor. This is what I did, and I can safely say that it makes a lot of mess, scares the cat, and is a hassle to clean up.

16 comments:

  1. I love cheese scones especially cheese & chive scones, warm, with a dollop of sour cream on them. Yum yum! Now I really want to make cheese and chives scones...

    Amy x cocktailsinteacups.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh they sound YUMMY. Maybe a version for next time (likely to be the weekend, my grandma is down and bloody loves cheese scones!) x

      Delete
  2. Reading this post had made me soooo hungry! I might have to have a rummage in the fridge and see what ingredients I have...

    becominghugo.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the beauty of scones- they are pretty much a storecupboard bake! Yum :) xx

      Delete
  3. Yummy. I need scones right now, with a cup of tea ;)

    bisous,
    Natasha

    http://www.bisousnatasha.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scones and a cup of tea is pretty much the best combo EVER! x

      Delete
  4. Yummmmmmmm These look delicious Alice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maureen! They tasted pretty good too, even if I do say so myself...! x

      Delete
  5. So weird I am actually in the process of writing a post on cheese and onion scones haha...yours look much nicer than my disastrous attempts however! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah great minds think alike!! I'm sure yours weren't disastrous, and the taste is what's important anyway! x

      Delete
  6. haha my family's from south africa and this is what we call scones too!
    lovely blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha good to know- they are definitely NOT biscuits! Thank you! x

      Delete
  7. Mmm I do love a good cheese scone, might have to try these when I'm off over Easter :) (blogging isn't good for the waistline...)
    Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, blogging will actually genuinely make me fat. Must. Not. Bake. Everything. xxx

      Delete
  8. I am on a mission to save lots of online recipes and start baking and cooking everything i've bookmarked! I shall save this one on to the list :-) I loooove scones! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a good idea!! These are pretty tasty, and given that it's quite basic it's easy to jazz it up a bit too! :) x

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog