Tuesday, 19 March 2013

Being Domesticated

I felt like a proper little domestic goddess this past weekend. (Even if I do say so myself.)

My mum was away for the second weekend in a row (lucky duck- the first involved tea at the Ritz, the second involved amazing seats at the England v Wales 6 Nations decider- what a life she leads!), so I thought that I would be the perfect daughter I always pretend to be.

Generally speaking, I can be stroppy and miserable with her, so I like doing nice things for her when I get the chance- otherwise she might stop loving me.

So this weekend, I started by tackling the massive stack of ironing that had accumulated (two full time workers and one full time student means this is a regular occurrence in Chez CupandSaucer). Still haven't put my own ironing away, but never mind.

Then, I made this chocolate cake, filled with a LOT of chocolate buttercream and covered with a smooth chocolate ganache. I also made Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Booster Bars. These are seriously amazing, and are basically pimped up flapjacks- but they make a great afternoon snack for work, and as they have seeds and fruit and stuff in them, I like to pretend they're healthy. If you're going to any festivals this summer, I seriously recommend making a batch of these and taking them with you- they travel really well, and keep you going all morning. I took a batch to Glasto in 2011, and my friends still talk about them now! Mine are packed with cranberries, apricots, pecans, and walnuts and are so yummy, even if I do say so myself.


Booster bars! These are keeping me going this week at work...
Obligatory cake photo... sorry about all of these!!

Then I made Butt Chicken. Otherwise known as Chicken With A Can Of Beer Up Its Bum, Covered In Cajun Spices (Butt Chicken is way easier, don't you think?!). Basically, you cover a chicken in a Cajun rub (paprika, oregano, garlic, chilli, cumin, and a load of other stuff), and shove some bay leaves, chilli and garlic into a can of beer, sit the chicken on top of it and voila!




This was so so yummy. I found it in my beloved Leon recipe book, and have been dying to make it. The intention was that my brother and potentially a couple of his friends would be there too, before our standard Sunday night pub quiz, but he flaked and so it was just me and Mama CupandSaucer. We had it with buttery mash, glazed carrots, and peas, and gravy made from the beer and meat juices. and it was delicious- though I can imagine in the summer it would be awesome with coleslaw, salad, and maybe a baked potato. This is definitely one for the boys, and for when you're feeling theatrical!!

I love weekends like this. Nothing makes me happier than being in the kitchen. 

In other news- I think I've worked out Bloglovin. But I probably haven't. Either way, I was told to paste the following into a blog post, and I'm nothing if not obedient. So yeah! If you want, follow me on Bloglovin'. If you don't, that's cool too.

Bloglovin

18 comments:

  1. Miss Domestic Goddess, aren't you. That chocolate cake looks DELISH. Stop tempting me with your evil food xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NEVERRRR! I think we need a joint recipe books. I'll put in the unhealthy stuff, you put in the healthy things. All about balance, after all!! xxx

      Delete
  2. I don't think I could ever stick a beer can up a chicken's butt... it looks tummy though! haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprisingly easy, and hilarious to do- not really that different to popping lemon/ onion inside a chicken for a normal roast! :) But yeah, it was taaaasty! x

      Delete
  3. Butt chicken looks so weird, I think I would be slightly freaked out if I walked past the oven and the chicken was that way up. You're cake and booster bars look absolute nom!

    Rhiannon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I just found how weird it looked hilarious! Thanks lovely, I really must stop eating it all though- moment on the lips and all that jazz....! xx

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of cooking a chicken that way, but it sounds delicious!

    becominghugo.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit of an unusual one, I'll admit! It is so yummy though- I would recommend it :) xx

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh, that cake looks delish!!! And the chicken, very impressive. I've never heard/seen or doing it that way but it looks pretty interesting!

    new follower!

    happinessisntadestination.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a bit of an adventure- could barely fit it into the oven, as you may be able to see- but it was a lot of fun to do, and tasted delicious! x

      Delete
  6. That Butt Chicken is seriously freaky but I imagine it tasted amazing! I'm glad you can't see into my mums oven should I ever try this.

    Your cake on the other hand. OH MY GOD! I'd eat it with a fork!

    Amy x cocktailsinteacups.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaa it is a bit weird but SO YUMMY! And leftovers in a wrap with salad? Yes please! Thank you- it seemed to go down pretty well, it's been demolished! (boys, eh!?) xx

      Delete
  7. Wow you had a productive weekend- that chocolate cake looks phenomenal, I would have read an entire post made up of various cake photos. But then I would have to make a cake afterwards, because it look so delicious ;)

    Some Snapshots Blog
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! Haha I'll bear that in mind- I worry people may get fed up of me constantly posting pictures of cake though!! You should make cake- the recipe for this one is on the blog somewhere- it's so easy too!!! x

      Delete
  8. Will you marry me?! Could you use a domesticated goddess haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gladly, I could use a glamorous assistant!!!! Hahahaha x

      Delete
  9. That chicken made me laugh!! Need to try those booster bars, they sounds great! And don't get me started on that cake :)

    Jen | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha it is mildly ridiculous, but so yummy! You should- they are a great morning/ afternoon/ midnight pick-me up :) xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog