Wednesday, 20 February 2013

World's Easiest Chocolate Cake

This  cake is probably the easiest chocolate cake IN THE WORLD.

No jokes. It's a piece of cake (pun fully intended).

I make this at every opportunity, because it is consistently good, keeps well (in theory, I've never had any left over to keep), and, let's be honest, who doesn't love chocolate cake? And by every opportunity I mean EVERY opportunity. And as the following pictures show, it's versatile to decorate. This cake has been used as follows...

Little nephew's first birthday cake...

Little sister's fourth birthday cake
Revision treat cake
Random Sunday cake...
Treat for my lovely big brother
This is my mum's recipe, so it's in ounces, not grams. Sorry about this, but it just works perfectly like this, so I've never been inclined to alter the recipe! But if you want to, there are some greaat converters out there on t'interwebs.

You will need...
7oz plain flour
5oz soft brown sugar (light or dark works fine
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp golden syrup
1/4 pint milk
1/4 pint sunflower/ vegetable oil (NOT olive- just anything flavourless)
2 eggs

What to do...
Sift your flour, raising agents, and cocoa powder into a big bowl. Stir in the sugar until it's all well combined. Then make a well in the middle, pour in the rest of your ingredients, and beat well until it's all really well combined (you literally can't overbeat this, so don't worry!). Then pour into either two or three (both work fine- my sister's birthday cake was three layers, same quantities of batter) eight-inch loose bottomed tins, greased with a bit of oil and lined (now I tend to just do the bases) with baking paper. Bake at 170C for around 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. It'll look like this when it's done: 


The cake domes a LOT, so when you take them out of the tins (let  them cool in there for about 15 minutes first), you'll probably want to turn them upside down so they flatten a little. And even then, you may need to trim a bit before icing.

To ice, I tend to use 200g butter, 400g icing sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, and a good splash of milk, and beat it with a hand blender until really fluffy- this makes enough to fill and cover the whole outside, with enough left for pretty borders, if you can be bothered.


YUM. May have to make this now. Where did I put my oven gloves....?

8 comments:

  1. i love the malteaser cake xx

    mac lippy giveaway.. 1STEPCLOSEREVERYDAY.BLOGSPOT.CO.UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So easy to do, but looks (and tastes!) amazing! x

      Delete
  2. I love the Maltesse cake it looks so delicious! Ohh, all I want is a massive slice of that right now! Desperately haha.

    Thanks for presenting the super easy recipe :)

    Hope you are well, take care :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too! I didn't get around to making one yesterday, but it's definitely next week's bake! You're welcome, you should give it a go this weekend! Hope you are well too! :) x

      Delete
  3. All of this cake talk is making my stomach grumble. Looks delicious!
    Isn’t That Charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's literally all I've thought about all day. Must. Make. Cake. x

      Delete
  4. I've bookmarked this! Going to try and bake it when i've got spare time, chocolate cake is my favourite! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, let me know how you get on! It really is a lovely cake :) x

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog