Wednesday, 13 February 2013

The Burrator Reservoir

As you may have noticed over here, the quiz team I am a part of is named "Burrator Reservoir Dogs".

Now obviously this is a reference to Reservoir Dogs, but why "Burrator" I hear you ask?

Well, as I may have mentioned, I live on Dartmoor, in the South West of England. And about five minutes drive from my house is THIS beautiful place...


This is the Burrator Reservoir. The pub we quiz at is named after it. The reservoir provides drinking water for the surrounding area, and given that we live on moorland, it's pretty much free mineral water. Yum. You actually might recognise it- it was featured in War Horse, which was filmed all around where I live.

You can walk the whole way around it- it's about a four mile loop, and it's all flat so pretty easy going. And as you go around you get to see some gorgeous places, like these: 



And wildlife, like Dartmoor Ponies and Canada Geese...

This was taken less than an hour after the photo of the pony, would you believe?!
I love it here, as you can see from my ridiculous expressions in these two pictures. YES you heard, pictures with my face in them! This is a novelty.

This is my younger (yes really) brother E. I had just launched myself onto his back and caught him slightly by surprise, I think.
Walking boots and 7ft long scarves are the height of fashion this season, dontcha know?!
And any trip to the Burrator is NOT complete without an ice cream from a Willy's ice cream van (yes, I laugh at the name pretty much every time). Sadly I don't have a picture of one of their ice creams, but trust me, they're delicious.

 I constantly have to remind myself that I am seriously lucky to live where I do. I know there are disadvantages to living in the sticks, but honestly? I love it here!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It really is, it's one of my favourite places!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos! It reminds me of a (much smaller) trail near my house that my friend and I like to go to over breaks.
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kiersten! Ahh I love that it reminds you of somewhere you like to visit too. I think the fact that I would always go there in my university breaks made me love it more, as now it really feels like home! x

      Delete
  3. Looks like a lovely way to spend the day :)

    Xx
    /Stephanie / http:// mydarlingsolitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, it's so lovely there :) x

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog