Sunday, 3 February 2013

Paris

Like pretty much everybody else on the planet, I adore Paris. 

This may have something to do with the fact that I can actually speak  the language there (I studied French for 11 years, and still keep it up a bit now), and the fact that my degree taught me so much about the history of France and Paris itself.

Last April, a group of classmates and I took a trip to Paris as part of one of our French history modules- we took the lecturer with us too.

Seriously, one of the best class trips I've ever been on.


We pottered about in the little streets, like this one in Montmartre.... 

 (I nearly died when I walked into this bakery. The cupcakes were all teeny and tasted SO beautiful.)
...Cooed over the beautiful little shops which you don't get anywhere else...

...and given that it was a university trip, we did do some educational stuff too. We visited the Shoah museum (did you know that Jewish people prefer the word shoah to holocaust? Look it up), and the Pere Lachaise Cemetery...

 This is the Mur des fedérés- during the Paris Commune of 1871, over a hundred Communards were lined up against this wall and shot. We were classy and had our photo taken against it (sadly I don't own that picture so can't post it)

 Oscar Wilde's grave...

Even in a graveyard, you can tell you're in Paris.

Mostly though, we spent a lot of time getting faintly lost...
 ... Looking like tourists...

...and drinking far too much cheap French wine.


Do you have any Paris tips? My mum and I are planning another trip in a few months, I would love to hear your recommendations!

18 comments:

  1. I've only been to Disneyland Paris but would love to explore Paris properly! These photos are lovely, and those cupcakes look delicious, i want one so bad! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm jealous, I've never been to Disneyland Paris! They were incredible, I still regret not eating more of them when I was there! x

      Delete
  2. I would love to go to Paris sometime soon! I wish I could speak French also. Great pictures!

    I'm a new follower of your blog - I really like your layout!

    If you want to check out mine is http://thestellarskin.blogspot.co.uk/

    Looking forward to your future posts :)

    Rachel

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it's so sweet of you to say that! Big smiles over here. Paris is a definite must, if only for the incredible food! x

      Delete
  3. I've only been to Disneyland Paris too :( Really hoping to do the typical romantic getaway at some point this year, but shall see what happens!

    Am a new follower xx
    betweentodaytomorrow.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paris is so romantic- though it is equally brilliant with friends! Thank you lovely! x

      Delete
  4. I went to Paris twice last year, and I'm dying to go back again! Such a beautiful city!
    Though both times when I went it rained for the entire trip! & I do wish I'd seen a bit more of Montmartre..

    Lovely blog btw :)
    x

    almostemilyjane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's such a shame you had rain, the two times I've been have been beautiful sunshine! Though I'm sure Paris looks lovely in any weather. Thank you so much! x

      Delete
  5. eep adore!! www.adoramehitabel.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. next time i go i have to have a picnic next to the river... on my paris to -list for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did that! I would recommend sitting at the very tip of the Ile de Cite- get off the metro at Pont Neuf and walk down the steps on the right hand side of the bridge. There is a little park at the end, or you can sit right at the tip with your legs hanging over the edge towards the river. So lovely! x

      Delete
  7. I love your blog Alice - just found it and you are MY kind of person! I haven't been to Paris in a few years now although I love getting a chance to crack out some French when I can! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much lovely, that's really made my day! Having had a look at your blog, you seem like my kind of person too- and I am SERIOUSLY jealous of your upcoming Bali trip! xxx

      Delete
  8. Just found your blog and love it! I have only been to Disney Land Paris but would love to explore the city. I'm torn between here and Rome for my next break away for the weekend. Hard choice as both places are amazing.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you on board Lauren!! The city is amazing, seriously wonderful and so many things to see! But I too would be torn between there and Rome- Italy is just amazing. Toss a coin!? Hahha! xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog