Tuesday, 5 February 2013

Lemony Lemon Cupcakes

I didn't even notice that it was snowing this morning. 

My mum had to point out the sprinkling of snow on the top of my car five minutes before I was due to leave- I really wasn't very impressed, as here in Devon when it snows, everyone seems to forget that they know how to drive. But as you can see, it REALLY wasn't that much. I hate the snow panic we seem to get here!!

As you can see, it's not exactly a lot of snow!
 When I got to work, I described the snow at home as "like a dusting of icing sugar", which got me thinking about baking. And then I saw Helen's chocolate cupcakes and decided I HAD to make something. I am seriously addicted to lemon, so decided on lemon cupcakes.

I originally was going to make Holly's Lemon Meringue Snowmen Cupcakes but when I got in, I felt too tired for the effort involved in making sponge, buttercream AND meringue, so settled on a slightly altered Hummingbird Bakery recipe. I am a firm believer that if you're making lemon cake, the lemon should properly smack you in the face, so this is quite a lemony recipe. Win.

For the cake you will need: 
80g soft butter (PLEASE don't use margarine? It's awful stuff) 
100g caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 lemon (zest and juice)
1 really good splash of lemon extract
240g plain flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
240ml milk (I used 1% and it's FINE)

Using a handheld beater (or kitchenaid if you're lucky enough to have one!), beat together your butter, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice until really fluffy. Beat in your eggs one at a time, making sure they are properly beaten in before adding the next. Add the lemon extract. Then add half of your flour and baking powder, beat it in well, then add half your milk. Repeat. 
Spoon into a muffin tin lined with cases (my mixture made 15) and bake in an oven preheated to 180 degrees C for 15-20 minutes.

As I said, I'm totally addicted to lemon so I decided to scoop out some of the cake once cool, fill with lemon curd, and then pop the lemon sponge back on top, but this is optional. What is not optional is topping these cupcakes with VERY LEMONY icing.

For the icing, you will need half as much butter to icing sugar. I used 175g butter and 350g icing sugar for my 15 cupcakes. Beat this very soft butter with the icing sugar and the zest and juice of a lemon until it's SERIOUSLY fluffy. This may up to 5 minutes. Taste it, and add more sugar or lemon if you think it needs it. Then spoon it into a piping bag, fitted with a piping nozzle (I used a star nozzle).

I have a trick for filling piping bags. Put the bag inside a pint glass, with the edges pulled down over the outside of the glass. This leaves both of your hands free to fill the bag (or one free to take a photo if you're a blogger!!)

So sorry for the blurry photo!

Then swirl your icing on top of your cupcakes and EAT.


These have made me very happy this evening. They are a very good way to end a day which started with snow (even if it has melted now).

How has your day been? Do you have snow this evening?

12 comments:

  1. These sound gorgeous, I used to make lemon meringue cupcakes with mini meringues on top! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that before- it adds such a lovely twist to the cupcakes don't you think!? x

      Delete
  2. Mmm, lemon cupcakes! These look delicious! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They tasted it too- and clearly my brother thought so as half of them have now gone!! x

      Delete
  3. I never thought to put icing into a pastry bag like that, great idea, I always make a mess!! Your cupcakes turned out great! My boyfriend's father gave me a Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas, so this recipe is a perfect excuse to break it out!! Love it!
    thisiskatefunk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does help with the mess- and I am a seriously messy cook to begin with, so anything that helps is welcome by me! WOW you lucky thing, I am so jealous of your Kitchen Aid!! x

      Delete
  4. Those look delicious, love lemon flavored desserts!

    Nora
    www.penchantforpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it's so refreshing, don't you think? x

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog